FV 433 Abbott

diesel1

Being road registered will save you some work or in my case 6 months of frustration. But the sites I listed before will show a dealer price. I am afraid like most thinks it is worth what you want to pay. Sometimes if you wait a better bargain may come up.... sometimes the price only seems to go up ...

in my opinion (like that get out clause). Have you thought of asking an old hand to see it with you? I had a few volunteers when I was looking to go with me.

Dont think they can be road registered now because of the width, im ringing round a few dealers today to get a idea of what i should be paying, im thinking mid £20s would be a good deal.

Im looking to keep it for a long term investment, will be getting full restoration from me, the pack is low houred which is good.

Saw 2 sell at auction last year, they both  looked rough, the engines didnt sound very healthy, they made £20000

Sounds like you have a plan and sounds like you have a ball park figure.  I have talked about this width restriction and some say they have managed to do it, and some say it can't be done. From my dealings with DVLA it does appear to depend on who you talk to. Good luck with your abbot would be very interested find out how it goes

theres a wealth of knowledge and experience on here. When buying take someone with you who  knows the market and knows what to look for on an abbott. Parts are scarce and becoming very expensive, so another set of eyes can save you a lot of money!

Abbott should just be in width, but cannot be legally road registered anymore as they do not comply with construction and use regulations since they do not have a secondary braking system (one of the reasons the 432 fleet was 'life extended')

17 minutes ago, diesel1 said:

Any pointers on what to look for on the abbot?

ive had a 432 before and got a sabre at the moment so i not new at what to look for?

viewing is on saturday

Take a good look round the vehicle and see how unmolested it is.  Are all the bits present in the engine bay such as the Firewire frame in front of the radiator?  How much of the turret contents are present?  They are awkward to find if you want to do a full restoration.

As with all K60 vehicles, the heat exchanger is the weak point.  Look for water in the gearbox oil or oil in the radiator.  They are unique to the Abbot, impossible to get hold of as spares and very difficult to repair, not helped by the fact that the entire pack seems to be built round them. 

Check for overheating, the fans and their hydraulic system are also unique to the Abbot. Other than that, check the battery charging voltage as dead regulator boxes aren't uncommon.   Some Abbots suffered from hull cracking but as it's under the pack you won't be able to see it.  Oh, and take it for a decent drive to check gears and brakes!

Andy

• 1 month later...

Morning!

I am trying to establish the military registration of an Abbott SPG, the plate is not present and nor is the original registration number.

Any ideas on whether there is an identifying mark on these vehicles that allow it to be traced?

Thanks

Peter

21 hours ago, lowfat said:

Try looking under seats / floors that are removable for service or inspections my stalwart reg was scratched into panels

That would be my suggestion too, my Abbot had the VRM written under one of the seat pads in the turret.  Otherwise, unlike the 432, there is no chassis or hull number on the vehicle itself.

Andy