Jump to content
skippypete

Albion cx22s spare wheel position

Recommended Posts

Can any one tell me where the Albion WD CX22s carried its massive spare wheel, may be some one may have a picture. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no location for it externally so if it carried a spare it must have been in the rear body.  Are there any holes in the front bulkhead that might be for a bracket, similar to swb Martian cargo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we acquire our  CX 22 back in 1970s it had on spare wheel .And was told that heavy artiliry tractors did not carry one.Not shore about scammer pioneer.  We have one fixed to the  back of the crew bulked now.  T Corbin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GTB MAN said:

When we acquire our  CX 22 back in 1970s it had on spare wheel .And was told that heavy artiliry tractors did not carry one.Not shore about scammer pioneer.  We have one fixed to the  back of the crew bulked now.  T Corbin

Martian artillery carried two spare wheels IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Scammell Pioneers where not equipped with a spare wheel originally, but various field modifications where done to facilitate one.
I have seen a war time picture of a Pioneer with a spare wheel placed on the roof of the cab. That would not be fun to get down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Albion CX22S Artillery tractors do not seem to have provision for a spare wheel. I wonder if it was carried on the Long Tom it was designed to tow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2019 at 9:51 PM, Surveyor said:

Not sure if this is the vehicle

8e18d573f7a36e41136e723232a1d206.jpg

That is an Albion WD/HD/23N 10-ton 6 x 4 equipped as standard with a very large and thirsty petrol engine and an equally large and expensive to fill 100-gal petrol tank not very quick but easy and fun to drive provided you weren't paying for fuel 3- miles to the gallon at 27-mph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scammell with spare on-top as mentioned above

Scammell Pioner Gun Tractor. May 76.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2019 at 1:39 PM, GTB MAN said:

When we acquire our  CX 22 back in 1970s it had on spare wheel .And was told that heavy artiliry tractors did not carry one.Not shore about scammer pioneer.  We have one fixed to the  back of the crew bulked now.  T Corbin

Do you still have your Albion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have  had the CX 22 for 44 years .And lives at DUXFORD . As did the scammer back in 1979 .When  we all went to NORMANDY.  ALBION CX 22    Leyand Hippo  Scammel poiner.  If you can find children’s swing you can get the spare wheel of the top of the truck  & back  . Camp site at St Mary’s Giles.  The first time 3 large MVs went on tour. Not the last for the Albion 

T CORBIN

 

 

D1ECC312-7A39-43D0-8D9B-16B026065C46.jpeg

E7827669-0815-4505-AD79-C15877480D3F.jpeg

82C06C17-F629-4EAC-A925-D8FAE04A755A.jpeg

65E589BB-8B3F-4B4C-84A1-5280013EBD4F.jpeg

1160B4F5-CEB7-44B6-8B08-DA515B06DC64.jpeg

87569F4B-AFAD-4C7B-AF9C-23D5BEDC1E54.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the day when we were oh-so young -  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you still take your Albion out to shows or is it on permanent display at Duxford. Ive only every seen 3 mine my fathers and one other that was in a sorry state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hasn’t been to any events for a number of years . The drivers are older than the truck  . It’s not very friendly to other road users at 23mph & close to 9 ft wide  .It has covered  about 16000 miles. In presavation. We had booked in in for Normandy in June but chanced our planes and now taking our International M-2-4. Instead. T CORBIN

20190414_092314_001.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, GTB MAN said:

Hasn’t been to any events for a number of years . The drivers are older than the truck  . It’s not very friendly to other road users at 23mph & close to 9 ft wide  .It has covered  about 16000 miles. In presavation. We had booked in in for Normandy in June but chanced our planes and now taking our International M-2-4. Instead. T CORBIN

 

I seem to remember a Dave who (part?) owned a CX22 based at Duxford many years ago.  He knew or was related to Colin Bent and between them owned an ex Pickfords Constructor, is this the same one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, radiomike7 said:

I seem to remember a Dave who (part?) owned a CX22 based at Duxford many years ago.  He knew or was related to Colin Bent and between them owned an ex Pickfords Constructor, is this the same one?

Dave Parker    Colin Bent.   My self. Brought the Albion in 1974.  Sad that Colin is no longer with us . Dave still has the Constructor   T CORBIN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2019 at 11:52 AM, GTB MAN said:

We have  had the CX 22 for 44 years .And lives at DUXFORD . As did the scammer back in 1979 .When  we all went to NORMANDY.  ALBION CX 22    Leyand Hippo  Scammel poiner.  If you can find children’s swing you can get the spare wheel of the top of the truck  & back  . Camp site at St Mary’s Giles.  The first time 3 large MVs went on tour. Not the last for the Albion 

T CORBIN

 

Quote

Sorry to hear about Colin, I got to know him quite well in the early 90s when he rebuilt a couple of clocks for me. I seem to remember meeting Dave at the Unipower open day when they were building the BR90 bridge erectors, I think it was organised by the SOEC who seem to have vanished.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...