TORQUE MULTIPLIER How does it work

tankdiver

Question

I have had this torque multiplier for some time and never needed to use it. It has a 1/2"  female drive , a 3/4 male drive,  a round hole to put a bar in. 

if I put a  1/2  ratchet in the female and lock the  3/4 male drive in a vice torque is multified to the bar.  when removed from the vice If  I  move the bar  end there is no torque it just rotates the 3/4 and 1/2" drives  but if i lock one of them it seems to work.I am wondering how it works or is it broken   If not broken how would I work it to remove nuts

Laurence

DSCF6598.JPG

DSCF6597.JPG

DSCF6596.JPG

DSCF6595.JPG

DSCF6594.JPG

DSCF6593.JPG

DSCF6592.JPG

7 answers to this question

This a complete and total guess, could it have a planetary gear set in it? Hold the outer still, input torque from the 1/2" to the planetary spider gears then the torque is magnifies on the sun gear for the 3/4" output....actually thinking about it It may be 1/2" to the sun gear for the input and the 3/4" on the spider for output......

Edited by rog8811

15 minutes ago, rog8811 said:

This a complete and total guess, could it have a planetary gear set in it? Hold the outer still, input torque from the 1/2" to the planetary spider gears then the torque is magnifies on the sun gear for the 3/4" output....

A very good guess.

https://www.norbar.com/en-gb/Products/Norbar-Videos/Manual-Torque-Multiplier-Videos

this is what i thought but if the 3/4  was on a nut and a 1/2 ratchet was used the whole of the casing would rotate unless a bar was put in round slot and somehow wedged  . I dont understand why a bar is needed to stop the casing rotating

Put a socket on the 3/4 drive, and put it on a reluctant wheel nut.

Put a brace bar in the bit that sticks out the side, so it locks against the next wheel stud, or the ground.

Put a ratchet drive or a breaker bar in the half inch drive, and wind it.

Hey Presto, the multiplied torque output will easily break the reluctant wheel stud.