Left hand wheel nut threads

sprocket316

Question

Might sound like a silly question, but having snapped a 1/2" drive socket extension today whilst trying to remove a 28mm wheel nut off the n/s/r of a 1985 ex MOD FMW tug, can I presume that it would be a standard right hand thread ? axle is a Hamworthy. The o/s/r nuts came off with no problem, I have come across left hand threads before....but nowhere near as late as 1985 !

I'm presuming it is right hand thread....and that I should really have found my 3/4" gear !

Any comments welcome thanks.

Tightening wheel nuts is very neary an art form.Do you just torque up once and leave it at that. Do you torque up leave for half an hour then retorque. do you torque them, then drive a short distance then retorque.  Do or dont you use nut indicators, these can be usefull when a vehicle is not used very oftain, put on for a journey and removed for authenticity. For example at a show. A problem with nut indicators is if wheels have been painted on the presure surfaces they can become loose and the indicators make it look as if they are still tight. If you torque up when the vehicle is warm from running when the studs cool and contract they will be harder to remove. or could stretch the studs and give a loose wheel. Over tightening causes as many problems as under tightening. Time to get the big chocks out to look at the brakes. 

I see where you're coming from, I guess that's what "walk around checks" are all about on a daily inspection sheet, not that this particular machine will ever see daily use, and certainly not on the public highway. Got the big chocks out on the back end now, where's fluid showing signs of leakage on testing....n/s/f !

Don't you just love it.