British surplus Macks WWI

Gerlof

Hello everyone,

My name is Gerlof Buurman from the Netherlands. At the moment I'm doing research about the history of Mack trucks in Europe. For that I'm looking for information about the 150 Mack trucks AC (Bull Dog) that were in service of the British army during WWI. And I'm also looking for information about the civilian use of these trucks after WWI ,when the trucks were surplus. Does anyone have advertisements of these trucks in newspapers, or have pictures of the postwar Macks? Any information is welcome!

Best regards, Gerlof

6 hours ago, Gerlof said:

Hello everyone,

My name is Gerlof Buurman from the Netherlands. At the moment I'm doing research about the history of Mack trucks in Europe. For that I'm looking for information about the 150 Mack trucks AC (Bull Dog) that were in service of the British army during WWI. And I'm also looking for information about the civilian use of these trucks after WWI ,when the trucks were surplus. Does anyone have advertisements of these trucks in newspapers, or have pictures of the postwar Macks? Any information is welcome!

Best regards, Gerlof

Hi Gerlof.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum, so you are very likely to get what you need. Just in case, though, it may be worth inquiring on the Great War Forum too.

Good luck,

Steve.

Hi Pitt24423, thank you for this advertisement as it gives a good impression for what I'm looking for regarding the surplus Macks! Let's hope the commercial motor has more of these treasures. I already checked their archive, but without success. Regards, Gerlof

I have quite a large collection of post WW1 advertising regarding war surplus trucks, anyhow all I have to hand is as follows:-

translit068.thumb.jpg.346786e0b81b85124aca947c4dc0eaa7.jpg

translit143.thumb.jpg.547f586039802258ad3848125497f826.jpg

translit152.thumb.jpg.33c673eba6d0628c13738b2d5af7e237.jpg

Only small mention so they must have been few and far between , nothing so graphic as the Daimler advertisement . Old Motor  magazine Vol. 8, issue  1 , January 1974 has an article about Bill Bouts and has an illustration of one on aerodrome construction work at Bicester 1916.

Richard Peskett.

Hi Richard, thank you very much for your advertisements! The numbers are indeed few, but when you keep in mind that the British army only had 150 Macks, it's not too bad! But I noticed as well that a Mack with an US type body was offered. Could that be a Mack of the US army? Is it possible for you to post the part of the 1974 article with the Mack illustration? I'm really curious if the truck was a former British Mack or a former US army Mack. Regards, Gerlof