CVRW tyres

webley455

Question

I need replacement tyres on my Fox, it currently has the original Dunlop Runflats which are starting to crack.

I have been offered some new 12x20 bargrips.

can these be fitted to the Fox instead of the 11x20’s or are they likely to cause damage to the vehicles running gear?

9 hours ago, Mk3iain said:

Hi

I am led to believe that the Eager Beaver used the same wheel without run-flat inserts.

Here is the parts book page with the list of bits for the wheel though sadly there is not an illustration. It shows what could be two types ? And states that it is a "Dunlop HB133 modified".  I don't know what the modified refers to maybe someone way more qualified than me could comment. It does show that the wheel is fitted with standard 11-00 x 20 Michelin XL tyres with a "Flap, rust , slip". Considering that these vehicles could motor along on roads at reasonable speeds, not just potter around a yard, I would say the fox would be OK.

I hope that helps a bit.

Iain

EB parts.jpg

Going from 1100x20 to 1200x20 you will need to check all clearances including full lock, depending on tyre brand and tread pattern. Going from memory there will be roughly 4 inches difference in tyre diamiter and a similar width difference. For a given engine revs speed will change also engine work and gearbox driveline peramiters will change. Engine overheating could become an issue. Brakes will have to work harder because of the larger tyres.

1 hour ago, Terra1936 said:

This is very informative. Locating these tires in the states in usable condition has been a challenge. I wanted to have all info before I begin my purchase journey. Thanks again!

Do they have to be Michelin XL ?

Have you looked at Boyce Equipment, they have 11.00 20 Goodyear radials.

They are out there, maybe not next door though.

Iain

Only in my experience,. I'm not an expert, others on here are far more qualified.

As far as I am aware the XZL have in effect replaced XL in military use, I suppose if the Fox was still in service it would be fitted with XZL.

The XL is probably more biased to off road and seems to wear faster on Tarmac but is a good all round tyre. If it were me and not intending to do big miles I would stick to XL. They are correct for the vehicle and look right.

If it's down to driving a lot and road performance then the more modern XZL.

In a perfect world a set of XL for show and XZL for driving around. Just like having winter tyres for your car, a tad more expensive though.

Iain

• Thanks 1

Michelins X tyre range are a long evolution tyre designed and developed over many years. Original X tyres are classed as vintage type with a side wall and tread base designed to perform different tasks within one carcase. Letters after X signify modern stage development through its lifetime, different compounds and tread patterns. That is my understanding of the range.

• Thanks 1