Cap paddle blade?

gwrightoy

Question

9 answers to this question

What use would an attachment be if it was to cover the end of a paddle? Is it some kind of NBC gear, to attach to a paddle for canoeing through contaminated water?

Seriously though, it would be useful to know what it is made of and the weight and size?

Edited by LarryH57

5 hours ago, LarryH57 said:

What use would an attachment be if it was to cover the end of a paddle? Is it some kind of NBC gear, to attach to a paddle for canoeing through contaminated water?

Seriously though, it would be useful to know what it is made of and the weight and size?

Could be to protect it in transport.

Its solid steel. Measures about 8" long. I suspect it's off some kind of plant machinery that the army had 50 to 70 years ago or maybe before that. The reference code is odd. I have big differential wheels for either a steam roller or diesel roller or small traction engine that has the same code . So I think it's for something like that . I have a number of them. I have large bolts in perfect condition that go with the same code as well. thanks Graeme

I don't recognize any part of the part number but I wonder if it is a bearing cap from a paddle wheel of a ship. There were plenty of paddle steamers in British service in WW2 and those in military service would have needed parts backup. I am not thinking of the bearings for the wheel itself which would have been much bigger but those of the actual paddles which are pivoted to the paddle wheel to give a feathering action as the wheel turns. The cap would have been retaining a split bronze bearing which was almost expendable because of the harsh conditions and difficulty of lubrication.

David

PS, Sorry I didn't read Graem's last post properly. I still think it is a bearing cap but some sort of asphalt mixing plant does sound possible.

Edited by David Herbert