Bedford 330 Turbo questions

skelly

Hello all.

I'm after a bit of advice if possible.

A mate of mine has got a ww2 GMC CCKW deuce & half truck with a Bedford 330 turbo diesel engine in it.

It runs ok but is very smokey on startup and we were wondering what we could do with regards to getting the injectors or DPA cleaned/tested ?

Any ideas anyone ?

Cheers.

Skelly.

I regularly drove a Bedford MK in the  early 80's. It had a "Modified 330" engine fitted (I never did find out what was modified about it, but that was always written on the AF G1045 when it went into workshops for repair). SOP's were that you shouldn't drive off before you had 80 PSI on the air gauge (tho the brakes released at 60 PSI). I always remember that in the time it took to build up the air, the garage always ended up full of blue smoke. Maybe they are all just like that and you have to live with it!

Regards - David 

12 hours ago, Scurvey Knave said:

I regularly drove a Bedford MK in the  early 80's. It had a "Modified 330" engine fitted (I never did find out what was modified about it, but that was always written on the AF G1045 when it went into workshops for repair). SOP's were that you shouldn't drive off before you had 80 PSI on the air gauge (tho the brakes released at 60 PSI). I always remember that in the time it took to build up the air, the garage always ended up full of blue smoke. Maybe they are all just like that and you have to live with it!

Regards - David 

Hi David,

The MK did not have spring brakes, they were air over hydraulic, so you could drive out of the workshop on the handbrake as I recall as it lessened complaints about the fumes. There was a small number of new Bedfords, which could have been MK (or possibly MJ) what were modified at the direction of REME at Woolwich were trialed with the lower oil control rings removed from the pistons. The vehicles were to be monitored for oil consumption, etc and after a given mileage had them replaced. I did some of these ring removals. I cannot remember too many details now but sure it was before the early 1980's.

Richard

On 3/2/2019 at 9:32 AM, Richard Farrant said:

Hi David,

The MK did not have spring brakes, they were air over hydraulic, so you could drive out of the workshop on the handbrake as I recall as it lessened complaints about the fumes. There was a small number of new Bedfords, which could have been MK (or possibly MJ) what were modified at the direction of REME at Woolwich were trialed with the lower oil control rings removed from the pistons. The vehicles were to be monitored for oil consumption, etc and after a given mileage had them replaced. I did some of these ring removals. I cannot remember too many details now but sure it was before the early 1980's.

Richard

Richard,

You are correct of course (it's been a long time since I drove these vehicles!). The MK's didn't have the spring brakes. I also drove TK's and these did (though I don't think that I would have been brave enough to drive the MK out of the garage with only the handbrake functioning anyway). I recall the handbrake on the MK causing some problems on loading ramps - the brake drum was fitted to the propshaft but backlash in the axle would allow the vehicle to move back and forward a couple of inches. I remember one poor chap unloading pallets from an MK with a Hyster. He was attempting to drive on to the back of the MK, but when the front wheels hit the load bed the truck moved forward. The Hyster's wheels dropped into the gap between the tailgate and the ramp. We always used steel plates to bridge the gap after that!

Regards - David

Heyup Chaps,

Interesting stuff.

I believe the truck has a rotary pump as opposed to the inline type, does this make any sense ?

Also I reckon the brakes are slightly weird, it has a hydrovac unit and air over hydraulic too..

Surely it should employ one or the other ??

Any ideas ?

Skel