Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I worked as a civilian driver at FTB for 12 years before the unit was taken over by the Royal Marines in 1979. for most of that time I was driving the Scammell recovery, including a trip from Instow to Harrogate and several trips to Aldershot, all towing the lowloader trailer with a load. I also drove a Stalwart, including an amphibious landing in Northern Ireland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keith,

 

welcome to the forum. I do hope you have many memories of vehicles that you can share, and wonder beyond all hope if you have pictures of anything that you did.

I have had the privilege of visiting what was ATTURM and it was a fascinating place.

Look forward to your future posts

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Keith,

Welcome to the forum. If you have any photos from back then we would be very pleased to see them.

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi David,

I have several prints of vehicles wading, some of a BARV etc.

I also have a group photo of all the staff taken shortly before FTB closed.

I will copy some of the prints and send as an e-mail if you are interested.

(keith@sandersonline.net)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would be of more interest if you post them here on the website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Keith,

I got involved in wading trials with MVEE - we originally did a comparison trial between a County Tractor and a Muir Hill 171 for use on the Landing Craft Logistics - decided that the County was too light and done full wading trials on the Muir Hill. It was the most fun that I ever had whilst actually getting paid for it! Attached images show the Muir Hill 171 on beach trials and the vehicle as it entered service (we purchased 3). In order to meet the requirements, Muir Hill had to lengthen the wheelbase to stop the annoying habit of the nose rearing up whilst shunting trailers onto the ship.

 

Regards - David

 

yellow171wading1.jpg

yellow171wading2.jpg

green171wading.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, again I have learned something, so that long wheelbase was likely only done for the MOD then David? The hillside behind makes me wonder is the the Scottish Isles or actually the Instow area?

 

Thank you for posting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi Robin,

As far as I know, these were the only 171's which had the wheelbase lengthened. When we ordered certain parts (like a propshaft which broke) we had to quote from drawing numbers rather than the items in the parts book since they were different from the standard. On the debit side, the vehicle used in the trials had an aircon unit fitted to the roof of the cabin. The MOD, in typical miserable fashion, refused to pay for such "luxuries" when the driver could open the window at no cost! The trial vehicle also had the ability to slew under braking - the brake pedal was split in two and the driver could operate the left or right side brakes independently for a sharp turn. The longer wheelbase would have put too much stress on the chassis so the two halves of the pedal were welded together and we lost this capability.

 

The island was St. Kilda - part of the R.A. Ranges Hebrides.

 

Regards - David

Edited by Scurvey Knave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was that the one with four-wheel steering/two wheel steering or Crab steer(the two axles turning in the same direction)?

I remember once collecting one from a "flat" at Barnstaple station having never even seen one before and then driving it back to FTB.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have a recollection of seeing a photograph at Otterburn Ranges, I was told it was a Land Rover, only part visible was the windscreen, the 2 occupants were driving in a local lake, both in dry bags.they seemed to be standing to drive the never did find out any more

Edited by Surveyor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Keith Sanders said:

Was that the one with four-wheel steering/two wheel steering or Crab steer(the two axles turning in the same direction)?

I remember once collecting one from a "flat" at Barnstaple station having never even seen one before and then driving it back to FTB.

 

We had Muirhill A5000's at various times and the regular game with newbie's was to divert the attention of the operator while sneaking an arm in under the seat and selecting Crab steer, then stand back and watch the fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi all. Seeing this thread reminded me that I have a few (actually 9 to be precise) photos from ATTURM Instow. They are original MoD photos, mostly stamped on the reverse with the ATTURM photographic section stamp. Four are of some kind of plant equipment in various poses, three are Landrovers wading in the sea and one driving through a trough and the last is a 1 Tonne Landrover all at sea. 

I have now scanned them (three are too big for my scanner, but I got the main content) but I can't post them, as they are the wrong format and I am pretty useless with that kind of thing. Would anyone be willing to act as an intermediary if I were to send them via email?

Here's hoping,

Steve.

 

PS: I am having a clearout and if anyone wants the originals they are very welcome to them.

Edited by Ex-boy
Added information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex-boy said:

Hi all. Seeing this thread reminded me that I have a few (actually 9 to be precise) photos from ATTURM Instow. They are original MoD photos, mostly stamped on the reverse with the ATTURM photographic section stamp. Four are of some kind of plant equipment in various poses, three are Landrovers wading in the sea and one driving through a trough and the last is a 1 Tonne Landrover all at sea. 

I have now scanned them (three are too big for my scanner, but I got the main content) but I can't post them, as they are the wrong format and I am pretty useless with that kind of thing. Would anyone be willing to act as an intermediary if I were to send them via email?

Here's hoping,

Steve.

 

PS: I am having a clearout and if anyone wants the originals they are very welcome to them.

 

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:17 PM, Scurvey Knave said:

Hi Keith,

I got involved in wading trials with MVEE - we originally did a comparison trial between a County Tractor and a Muir Hill 171 for use on the Landing Craft Logistics - decided that the County was too light and done full wading trials on the Muir Hill. It was the most fun that I ever had whilst actually getting paid for it! Attached images show the Muir Hill 171 on beach trials and the vehicle as it entered service (we purchased 3). In order to meet the requirements, Muir Hill had to lengthen the wheelbase to stop the annoying habit of the nose rearing up whilst shunting trailers onto the ship.

 

Regards - David

 

yellow171wading1.jpg

yellow171wading2.jpg

green171wading.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:17 PM, Scurvey Knave said:

Hi Keith,

I got involved in wading trials with MVEE - we originally did a comparison trial between a County Tractor and a Muir Hill 171 for use on the Landing Craft Logistics - decided that the County was too light and done full wading trials on the Muir Hill. It was the most fun that I ever had whilst actually getting paid for it! Attached images show the Muir Hill 171 on beach trials and the vehicle as it entered service (we purchased 3). In order to meet the requirements, Muir Hill had to lengthen the wheelbase to stop the annoying habit of the nose rearing up whilst shunting trailers onto the ship.

 

Regards - David

 

yellow171wading1.jpg

yellow171wading2.jpg

green171wading.jpg

Hello Dave I have a mate who owns a Muir Hill 171 Landing craft tractor, even has the grab rail around the roof, might be the same one !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi,

They are easy enough to identify - stretched wheelbase, boughton winch and three air tanks behind the cab and a couple of brackets welded to the right hand side to hold a 90" straightbar. The wheels had cast iron weights fitted to the hubs and the tyres were water ballasted to give additional weight. If the brass identification plate is still fitted, the VRN's were 01HW86, 87 and 88. Weak points were the prop shaft which had a habit of bolts loosing off and the steering rams which were never quite up to the job of moving the heavily ballasted wheels.

 

Regards - David

Edited by Scurvey Knave
autospeller
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Scurvey Knave said:

Hi,

They are easy enough to identify - stretched wheelbase, bought winch and three air tanks behind the cab and a couple of brackets welded to the right hand side to hold a 90" straightbar. The wheels had cast iron weights fitted to the hubs and the tyres were water ballasted to give additional weight. If the brass identification plate is still fitted, the VRN's were 01HW86, 87 and 88. Weak points were the prop shaft which had a habit of bolts loosing off and the steering rams which were never quite up to the job of moving the heavily ballasted wheels.

 

Regards - David

Sounds like it could be one, I will get some pics this Saturday

Cheers Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it amazing what interesting topics keep emerging. It reminded me that I have a photo of a Saracen wading in the sea up to the level of the turret ring. I wouldn't have wanted to be the driver. Sadly there is no official stamp on the back so don't know where it came from. I am not very techno savvy so don't know how to transfer a photo into here.I also have an old AATDU picture of a Saracen which has just been air-dropped on an HSP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Chris. When you picked up what I posted yesterday I hoped you were answering my plea, but you made no mention of it. Would you be interested in me sending you some photos, or would anyone else?

 

Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DINGODOUG said:

Isn't it amazing what interesting topics keep emerging. It reminded me that I have a photo of a Saracen wading in the sea up to the level of the turret ring. I wouldn't have wanted to be the driver. Sadly there is no official stamp on the back so don't know where it came from. I am not very techno savvy so don't know how to transfer a photo into here.I also have an old AATDU picture of a Saracen which has just been air-dropped on an HSP.

Hi Doug. Ref the HSP, there was a thread last year in the Aviation section about aerial delivery. Perhaps a mention of it there would be useful.

Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-boy said:

Hello Chris. When you picked up what I posted yesterday I hoped you were answering my plea, but you made no mention of it. Would you be interested in me sending you some photos, or would anyone else?

 

Steve.

Yes Steve that would be great, I’ll pm my details over to you, 

cheers Chris 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CRSCRS said:

Yes Steve that would be great, I’ll pm my details over to you, 

cheers Chris 

Thanks Chris. I'm sure you will think it worthwhile.

 

Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, DINGODOUG said:

Isn't it amazing what interesting topics keep emerging. It reminded me that I have a photo of a Saracen wading in the sea up to the level of the turret ring. I wouldn't have wanted to be the driver. Sadly there is no official stamp on the back so don't know where it came from. I am not very techno savvy so don't know how to transfer a photo into here.I also have an old AATDU picture of a Saracen which has just been air-dropped on an HSP.

There’s a picture which turned up on google search by a David Busfield on Flickr. The caption states -

A British Army Saracen APC in the Wading Tank test facility at Chertsey 1954

A press photo of a 6x6 Alvis Saracen Armoured Personnel Carrier going through the wading tank at the Fighting Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (FVRDE) Chertsey, Surrey in September 1954.

Not quite what you said about the sea, but still, must have been interesting for the driver!

1CC4CD48-68F2-4539-8F87-D62D11034F50.jpeg

Edited by ltwtbarmy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the pictures kindly supplied by Ex-Boy,

thanks for sending them over Steve,

cheers Chris 

D6A0A1BD-EFB4-4B24-B71E-15023323C240.jpeg

D8337A50-30F6-4F5A-B49C-4F968F4012D9.jpeg

A965ECB6-3FFA-4650-920E-E536597EC5CE.jpeg

E7B1824F-372F-4F86-950D-0BE62E670A5A.jpeg

6065D286-E6DE-46AC-BB71-E77B870D2F43.jpeg

65F6CB00-FB52-44FE-B126-B51C6DDCBBA1.jpeg

C11A5F40-0E54-4195-BFA6-07DB5339519A.jpeg

298DDBCE-9571-469B-8944-94F71A79A3C4.jpeg

FA64BBA6-CE8B-4624-BF41-E1342B354DD2.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for taking the trouble Chris.

As mentioned previously, the originals are up for grabs, so if anyone would like them, free, please PM an address and I will send them on their way.

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...