The Salonika front from the other point of view

Ted170

And the last one for now - This one is pretty clear about the model - Benz Gaggenau. And also dated July 1917, Levunovo. So, the previous 2 may be Levunovo as well, as all the 3 photos reside on one single page of an old album.

ScanImage298.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ted170 said:

This one rocks! "In the workshop, 10 March 1917". That must be either Levunovo, or Kriva livada. Not sure about the truck type.

ScanImage295.jpg

Looking at the third photo of the Benz engine, it identifies this truck as a Benz as well.   The engine is the same.  Great clarity in the photos and fantastic record of history.

A few years ago I was lucky to find something really rare - a Benz Gaggenau truck parts list. I think it is exactly from the period of the photos above. Not sure if it is exactly the same model, but at least, very close. It is for a 3-ton Benz Gaggenau, with chain drive. The engine from the photos above and in the books looks pretty much the same. The book has seen better days, but I'm in love with it anyway :)

IMG_20190226_201110.jpg

IMG_20190226_201118.jpg

IMG_20190226_201124.jpg

IMG_20190226_201132.jpg

IMG_20190226_201135.jpg

IMG_20190226_201141.jpg

IMG_20190226_201148.jpg

IMG_20190226_201201.jpg

Edited by Ted170

And yes, it actually shows a "normal"chassis and the parts are for it, too, but there is a chapter attached in the end, showing in a few pages the Chain Drive parts. Seems the truck was delivered in both configurations.

Edited by Ted170

Hi Al, unfortunately there are no such pictures. The closest to a full vehicle is the chassis picture, which I have shown, the rest are just pictures of parts. In fact this seems the way they made the parts lists - I have parts lists for late 1930s Mercedes cars /170 and 230/ and there is also no car shown, again the most complete scheme is just a running chassis.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 9:50 AM, Ted170 said:

It is Greek. I think I managed to read the first word, the next one is not well seen. It's Greek letters, which can be translated to E.S. Ypiresia.  The E.S. means Elinikos Stratos /Greek Army/ and Ypiresia - Service

Thank you. That is very helpful. Now I have seen the Greeks with FWD trucks before but never an AEC. All very curious.

28 minutes ago, PITT24423 said:

All the vehicles appear right hand drive ?

Yes, looking at other photos I have it looks like most trucks of the Central Powers were also right hand drive. US built ones were also right hand drive but started swapping over in the late teens early 20's.

• Thanks 1