NATO 12 Pin Trailer Socket

Zero-Five-Two

Question

Quick question for the learned members, has anybody got a wiring diagram for the standard NATO 12 Pin Trailer Connector.

20190217_152557.thumb.jpg.477cbd714803745449301a5679da065d.jpg

Took the one off my Tanker last week, 12 cables and all yellow.  Some had tags on but most were blank.  I did make notes on which went where, but, as there didn't seem to be much semblance of order to the rest of the rear light wiring, it got a bit confusing.

All the cables were well rotten, and are in the process of being replaced, which is the easy bit.  Reconnecting the lot and making it all work will be the issue.

At the moment, I've no plans for a towing a trailer, but I would like to have the socket connected up just in case.  That said, the Engineers had 1000 gallon Thompson Bowsers on ox cart chassis and one of them would look rather good hanging off the back! (dreaming again)

11 answers to this question

17 hours ago, Peakrec said:

When a vehicle has the 12 pin nato socket, its usually easy to add a 7 pin too. Find the connections nearby and add the 7 core to them so giving best of both worlds.

You can make a cable with the NATO plug one end and the 7 pin socket the other end and plug in when required.

Yes,  I would think  david1212  has suggested best idea ? I think I would use solder-fill connections & heatshrink. Although solder fill bullets could be used.

Hhmm    I have just looked at a full assembly , not had that end dismantled.  Pointless me removing the gland ring as well.

I am thinking the individual wires are threaded through from the trailer plug contact end , through the rubber bung that is then compressed by the gland ring to give a water-seal.  If you pushed / pulled the wire(s) out in reverse , then I doubt if you could use the contacts again and I doubt if they are a common available part (probably crimped on).    Quality job it is.  Obviously too good for Land Rover , although used  LoL