05 EK 41

Bob Grundy

05 EK 41 was an RL Bob but it is difficult to read it is actually 05 BK 41

Originally FV1601 CT Cargo Truck built under Contract 6/V/6443 delivered to 12th B Vehicle Depot Ashchurch on 6/5/53 under contract 6/V/6443 Receipt Voucher ASC/R/751

Converted to armoured 1959-60 FV1611 under Contract 6/V/27455

The ledger entry for the engine number has been obliterated by the change in Asset Code to 1780-2501 which shows it was a Flying Pig struck off 7/1/93 Vehicle Storage Depot N.Ireland

Thank you Clive I can now tell when asked the question 'how old is ?' As regards the number plate, it is in fact corroded steel. Being a front one I have only seen front VRN's painted on the hull and never as an individual plate.

Peakrec, It is a little better than the plate..........

Oh it is steel, I have seen some plates left over from film companies that had  just painted the registration on bits of card, thought it was one of those. Originally all Pigs would have a pressed aluminium plate on the nearside front wing. Many in N.Ireland had these damaged or they had been removed if they were one of the 200 recovered. These replacements were steel painted black with the registration either stencilled, hand painted or had adhesive letters applied.

Pigs for disposal were meant to have the registration plate removed, but for disposal identification the registration was painted on the front of "bonnet" to keep track of it & invariably if it was allocated a MS registration that was painted there. Originally Unit & Formation Badges would have been painted here. Having said that there are few in service photos of the BK painted there, particular those Pigs with flat bar rams that would obscure the registration plate.

Ok Bob don't tease us any more, I'm sure I speak for many who would like to see a few pics of her, please.

• Like 1

Bob if you need to take off the cab scuttle armour, it would help with my archives to know the armoured body number (usually 3 digits) which would also indicate whether it was made by ROF(N), ROF(W) or Sankey. The plate is about 1" x 4" below the commander's front hatch. Thanks.

Looks a great project, my Pig came with its front and rear steel number plates (21BK96). It was base repaired and even the milometer reset to zero. So its drives like new with no oil leaks.

If anyone has a working pump.

Could do with one hydraulic hand pump for front vision hatch, have stripped it down and just can not get it to double pump.

16 hours ago, Peakrec said:

Could do with one hydraulic hand pump for front vision hatch, have stripped it down and just can not get it to double pump.

If it helps the pump is 6MT1 2590-99-821-8227

Somewhere I think I may have part numbers of the seals

I have found the pump servicing instructions & an exploded parts diagram. Although the parts are described in general terms there are no actual part numbers, but it might be your best bet to persevere with a rebuild & look for replacement O rings.

05BK41

This photo is from a FB Group I am a member of.  The person sat in the pig is the owner of the photo, but I do not have his permission to post it. Therefore I have blanked his face out.  I will send him a PM though and see if he is willing to make contact?

In the meantime, enjoy...

05BK41 - Humber Pig - edited.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:50 PM, ferret1958uk said:

05BK41

This photo is from a FB Group I am a member of.  The person sat in the pig is the owner of the photo, but I do not have his permission to post it. Therefore I have blanked his face out.  I will send him a PM though and see if he is willing to make contact?

In the meantime, enjoy...

05BK41 - Humber Pig - edited.jpg

Me & Pig.jpg

• Like 3