1940 Triumph 3SW Restoration

flyingfleasteve

13 hours ago, flyingfleasteve said:

The original petrol tank is in a very sorry start so whilst at Malvern a few weeks ago I found a temporary 3HW tank, still in need of repair, but much more solid.....apart from the big holes!

AD9EFA5F-359D-4136-96CD-54623852D4D6.jpeg

B1E86A22-4ACB-4D8C-8E9A-A77F9CF9767D.jpeg

Brian Tillin told me the Indian made ones are quite good.

So I have finally completed all of the wiring complete with inline fuse !

Fully tested and working well, the newly restored CZ27 ammeter is also working..... A small gremlin with the rear brake light but a simple fix. 🤞

Seat, chain guard, fuel lines and exhaust all now fitted!

A few small items to completed but ultimately Sunday will be adding fluids back in and hopefully a test run. 😬

I am hoping I then have a good few weeks to shake it all down and get the contract number and other transfers added.

IMG_3367.JPG

IMG_3369.JPG

IMG_3372.JPG

No shell bearings on these! Roller bearings are very forgiving and don't really need much running in. But the bore and piston rings if new, need to be run in. 400-500 miles of careful riding should bed the rings in ok, and I change the oil after the first 100-200 miles.

These Triumph SV's have a very large 8 thou piston skirt to bore clearance for some reason.

I use Morris Golden film classis 40 in all my bikes engines, all year round as a compromise between 50 in summer and 30 in winter. To keep things simple....It works for me, but oil debates can be long and tedious!!  I buy it at jumbles for £16-17 (5 liters). 

Ron

So today is the day I look to fire up the Triumph!

A few things to fettle with first, but I will keep you all posted.

So yesterday I managed to crack the glass in the headlamp 😬, does anyone have any direction on where I can pick up a replacement?

I have also had my census tank stencils delivered and wondering the best paint to use?

Edited by flyingfleasteve

Dave Tann  makes perfect replica WD headlamp glasses complete with 'DEFUSA' logo 6" or 8"    alliedglass123@gmail.com

For stencils I use Platicote matt white rattle cans which come in handy small cans off ebay. I also have a selection of gloss colours for unit markings. (All stencils from Axholme signs)  Ron

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLASTI-KOTE-FAST-DRY-ENAMEL-SPRAY-PAINT-100ML-27-COLORS-NEW-ROSE-GOLD-AEROSOL/182598198699?epid=907194563&hash=item2a83b365ab:m:mYbKU1Mzb87h9yMnAvVWgAw

DSCF1517.jpg

DSCF1518.jpg

Edited by Ron

Looking purdy Steve. Is it running yet? I've clocked 400 miles on my 5SW and got used to the upside down gear shift, so I'm calling that "fit for duty" and Normandy after a pre departure check/adjust/grease up.

As it happens we're hosting an "Indian Riders" rally over Easter and I'm leading two runs on a bike with standard box, so will be constantly thinking about gear shifts again.🤔 Ron

DSCF1524.jpg

Hi Ron, glad to hear your all set! Yes it’s rather strange getting use to the gearbox. 

Harley looks great!

The 3SW lives! Starts well and idles nicely a little ‘poppy’ at high Rpm.

I checked it over this morning it aprears, currently, that it’s holding it’s fluid well, just a very slight weep from the carb.

Not knowing the bike/SV machines in general the engine isn’t smooth sounding like the 3GL it’s rattles a fair bit.....is this normal?

I would hate to have to put a new  piston in it before we go....!

Edited by flyingfleasteve

HARLEY!!??? What are you like? 

The cam gear on my 5SW is a bit rattly. But since the cams are good and the worn bushes have been replaced, I've put it down as quite normal. There will always be a clack from the gear teeth as the backlash in changed at the point where the cam is pushing open the valve to where it is then being pushed by the closing valve......If that description makes sense?

The main rattle from mine when I acquired the bike and after further investigation, was that the small end bush was loose (wobbling) in the con-rod, which in turn had scuffed the piston.............New bush - file scuffs from piston - new rings - and light hone has done the trick.  Ron

DSCF1072.jpg

Sorry Ron.....Indian! 😣

Yeah that makes sense, the noise is more of a chatter, namely on the valve side above the valve inspection case......I have a video of it running but I cannot seem to post it..........

my piston was not quite that bad 😉

the only other issue I can see at this moment is getting exhaust paint to stick to it....it gets sooo hot it ends up bubbling and chipping off! Suggestions welcomed!