1940 Triumph 3SW Restoration

flyingfleasteve

Well the 50 weight oil didn't make any difference at reducing the clatter (I didn't really think it would) So I've stripped the timing gear train out for inspection. I'm going to visit Brian today in Swanage to see what new parts he can help me with and decide if wear to the inner cam bushes are part of the problem. Although I've found some slop in the idler pinion bush and inlet cam outer bush, which we have already replaced and some wear to the camshafts themselves.

I'll see what compromises we can come up with, with any new shafts and gears and easy to replace bushes. Otherwise the engine will have to be stripped. In which case I guess I'll be taking one of the Royal Enfield's to France.  Ron 

DSCF1594.jpg

Edited by Ron

Fingers crossed you and Brian can sort it! 

I am having a similar “clatter” myself so I will be extremely interested to find out what the diagnosis is.

currently I am having a bit of a battle with the clutch basket, a routine clutch plate adjustment unearthed excess play in the clutch basket and central hub. On closer inspection it aprears the main shaft bolt is not fully tightened down, maybe due to the absence of a washer.

Anyway after and hour of fettling I have managed to damage the clutch peg bolts 😔

On a positive note my rear carrier has arrived, painted this morning I hope to fit it along with the newly sprayed exhaust tonight.

I should have taken the G3L!

Edited by flyingfleasteve

My inlet cam shaft and idler shaft were worn. Brian had a new inlet camshaft, so we  pressed my cam gear off the old shaft and onto the new one. He also had a new idler pinion gear shaft which meant I had to somehow pull the old one out. I welded a piece of 6mm studding to the end of the old shaft and with a metal block with a hole in to use as a slide hammer, and after some heat on the crank case from my welding torch and some bumping from my slide hammer, the shaft came out. 

The new shaft was easily tapped into the engine whilst it was still warm. I also took the head off to reset the timing accurately.

I'll finish off tomorrow and hope for a quieter engine! Ron

DSCF1597.jpg

Today (Wednesdays) is mostly a day off for me, as I go out for the day with my teenage mates (Last of the summer wine!!) But hopefully I'll get back on it later in the day.🤞 Ron

So I have now sprayed my exhaust for the 3rd time......I have tried a new paint......let’s hope it solves the issue.....

Rear carrier now painted and ready to fit this evening!

Just waiting for my new clutch parts to arrive!

50 SAE has arrived on my doorstep so an oil change is on the cards before my trip!

Photos to follow.......

Me too! I got mine back together last night and it started first kick......After it had warmed up, I re-torqued the head bolts, and today I ran it down to Coy Pond to show the ducks. (They went Quackers over it). 

The clatter is definitely better and since everything now is checked out or renewed, I'll accept that the slight clatter is what it's supposed to sound like. 

I'll just check the head bolts one last time later (I have a solid copper gasket fitted, so no fear of a modern composite version blowing out) Ron

DSCF1604.jpg

DSCF1606.jpg

I would first try Tony Cooper for mag parts .........I think he's trying to retire.....But worth a call though.

Tony Cooper Motorcycles 
110, Olive Lane, 
Halesowen, 
West Midlands, 
B62 8LT 
Tel 0121 559 2405 
Fax 0121 561 2410

Just realised it was you Steve that my son Jack and I  met at the steam rally in Abergavenny on Sunday. Jack had popped in to the rally whilst waiting for me and my Aussie brother to pick him up. That Triumph looks very smart,see you next week !

I still have a couple of niggling issues with my 5SW that has swayed my decision to take it to France after all. So the old faithful Royal Enfield WD/G is loaded in the van. I'll give the Triumph more mileage on home turf on my return. Ron

WDL-G 079.jpg

Ron thanks for the information ref. Magneto..... I THINK I have a solution, I am not entirely happy with the engines rattles and shakes but I have done all I can with it now. It’s loaded up and ready to go! Sorry to hear you have decided against taking the 5SW, I hope it’s nothing to serious........at least you have an alternative or two 😉 I look forward to seeing the Enfield!

All of my mates are taking Jeeps so I may give the 3SW, well me, a day off here and there!

When are you setting off Ron?

We're on the 8am fery from Poole tomorrow (Friday 31st) and should be at the Etreham campsite by about 2ish.  

Nothing serious with the 5SW. It's just that I'd like to get to know it better first.  Ron

• 2 weeks later...

My mission is now complete.

The little 3SW has now been to Normandy!

We arrived last Saturday with scorching sun, a combination of the extremely steep hills out of Cherbourg and the intense heat meant a few over heating issues to start with, some adjustment to the bike and a slightly richer mix improved the running of it. Through the sun and the rain the little bike began to improved and improved, finally rolling of the ferry two days ago under its own steam!. An epic adventure for both me and the little bike!

It’s now time to clean her up and touch up the paint work 😉

what an experience!