1940 Triumph 3SW Restoration

flyingfleasteve

That looks better Steve. Is the glass one of Dave Tann's? He knows the proper sizes for DU 42's and 142's.

I did 65 miles on my 5SW yesterday, on an educating tour from Southwick and around the Porstmouth embarkation areas. Ron

DSCF1549.jpg

I had the same problem Ron and I have a couple of originals here to compare with. The response was one of having supplied several and not previously had a complaint. We had some discussion about sizes but I rather let it drop.  I probably should have pursued it as it is a bit of a rattling fit but mine was an experiment to apply BEF blackout paints to.

Regrettably, I don't think that he has the correct size for the 7½" DU142. The response wasn't what I'd expected to be honest.

Edited by 79x100

OK Rik. I've had a few 8" glasses from him and can't remember a loose fit. (I call them 8" and 6" as that's how we seem to distinguish the DU142 and DU42)

I would certainly have challenged it if I wasn't happy! It can't be any greater effort to cut the glass a bit bigger. I can't remember if I still have one in stock, but can you give me the exact diameter of an original for future reference. Ron  

Thanks Ron. 

Yes it’s one of Dave Tanns replacements.

The 5SW is looking really good! How’s it running?

I have checked and double checked the tappets of my 3SW, the exhaust is off ready for painting and the main tool box is repaired ready for painting and fitting. 

I am hoping to touch up the paint in a few areas and get the Census number on.

we have a local Militaria show at the weekend so I hope to ride it there and back which will be circa 40 / 50 miles.

A great chance to do another shake down, let’s hope the weather holds! 🤞

The 5SW is running fine and pulls really well. However I'm still not happy that the clutch will slip if I hurry a change  up-hill. That is, drop the clutch and open the throttle together. I then have to ease back on the throttle for the clutch to stop slipping....Then off I go! I'm going to take the cover off this week and experiment with tightening the springs down a bit more. It's very light at the handlebar lever anyway, so should take a bit more pressure.

Interestingly I was riding often next to a mate with another 5SW and noted that our gear changes were different. He'll check his engine sprocket next time he takes his cover off (Mine now has the correct 20T) 

The 3SW and 3HW have the same gearbox gearing (different engine sprockets) and the 5SW has different gearbox gearing. I suspect my mates bike has 3HW gearing which seems a bit better to me........Although I'm not looking to find the cluster and rebuild my gearbox just yet.  Ron

Ron, you're very welcome ! It's always crucial to have an original to take the measurements from as there can be no dispute.......

I've done a round trip of 250 miles today to collect a front wheel for my second James ML (once fitted, it's finished).......long journey but worth it for a superb wheel complete with hub assembly, etc.............Mrs M kept me awake for the drive.....!

I've edited my comments above as I've been back to look at my correspondence from the time and my recollection wasn't completely correct.  Dave Tann told me that his glasses are 193mm but that he has supplied some at 195mm...which he thought may have been for car applications.

The WD parts book refers to the glass for the DU142 being numbered NG13/4 which is what appears on both the (different coloured) paper envelopes that I have.  Diameter is referred to as 7 13/16”  This seems to equate to 7.8125” which converts to 198.4mm

VAOS 5 (2).jpg

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

So today sees the last few snags on the Triumph being completed, the exhaust has been prept with the first few coats of paint applied, correct saddle springs ordered and tool box welded up and primed for a top coat. To finish the job I am going to paint the Census numbers......should I aim for any particular location on the tank? I am not looking I add any other tank decals just the Census number......

I am currently talking with Jan on the baguette carrier.......

I fitted a BO mask to my ML headlamp.

The original pre war gearbox caps are hard to find as they are often mullered with hammer and screw driver, hence the better post war idea with a hex to undo them. I didn't know they were being reproduced? Ron. 

Ron

DSCF1563.jpg