1940 Triumph 3SW Restoration

flyingfleasteve

2 hours ago, flyingfleasteve said:

One of the hardest parts to source to date was an orginal field stand.

My particular bike has the later welded lug, 6 months of searching I found a genuine field stand tucked away in France, a little worse for wear but solid all the same. It finally arrived through the post today, still with signs of military paint in places too!

IMG_3301.JPG

Being nosey, how did you find out about it in France Steve ?.

Indeed Steve. I have very good engineers around me, unfortunately not getting any younger and heady for retirement😢

They are perfect copies and they did 3 pairs for me at £100 each pr, which considering the normal hourly rates of today, I thought was very reasonable.  Ron

Edited by Ron

I can't pin point it, but these bikes are from contract C3360 in 1939 and clearly show the clamp (also note the 6" headlamps) and we know of 1940 bikes with and without the welded on pivot, obviously at some point in 1940. We can only narrow it down by a process of elimination and any photographs that may show it??? 

What contract is your bike from?   Ron

Triumph Factory.jpg

Yes the tail lamps or missing for some reason? There is a package attached to each carrier, which is probably the tool kit? 

That's interesting. My 3SW is also from contract C6128 but is from the first batch of numbers C72523. It had the spring clip lug but no sign of a pivot lug ground off, so I must assume it would have had a clamp. 

So the next part of the equation is, what part of that contract is yours from? .......Frame number?  Ron

On 2/12/2019 at 9:15 AM, Ron said:

I can't pin point it, but these bikes are from contract C3360 in 1939 and clearly show the clamp (also note the 6" headlamps) and we know of 1940 bikes with and without the welded on pivot, obviously at some point in 1940. We can only narrow it down by a process of elimination and any photographs that may show it??? 

Triumph Factory.jpg

What’s the box under the seat, looks too big for a MCR1 regulator ?.

The tyres look almost the same tread pattern as the Ensign.

Edited by HotBed

On 2/12/2019 at 9:15 AM, Ron said:

Triumph Factory.jpg

The photo would have been taken at a RAOC vehicle depot no doubt and looking at the ones closest to the camera, they looked to have been allocated to 46th Division as it is marked on the saddles. The missing rear lamps may have been due to a shortage and to be fitted later. I have seen photos of lorries leaving the factory without spare tyres, but the rim was in the carrier., similar situation, shortages.

Hi Richard. The pictures (I have another shot, slightly different angle) are actually taken at the Triumph factory. You can actually see a row of civy bikes further back. But those are indeed RAOC guys in attendance. O&M quote 300 in that contract being delivered to Chilwell at 50 per week.

The second digit on the saddle is a bit fuzzy, but I agree 46 Div (Sherwood Forest Oak). I wonder how many  made it back after the BEF retreat or have survived in France or ended up as a Luftwaffe step up?  Ron  

Screenshot_20170516-184213 2_zpspvtr7rgx.jpg

• Like 1

Great picture Ron!

Turning my attention to putting the bike back together the inlet manifold studs (bolting the carb to the head) are completely stripped. I am having some difficulty in sourcing the correct replacements........can anyone maybe point me in the right direction? These little studs are proving harder to source than anything else!

• Like 1