Finding the history of my Bedford MWD

Africa Shell

Question

Hello Everyone,

I wish to trace the history of my Bedford MWD, I have a chassis number and Z number, and 1953 rebuild,  but would love to know where it may have been during its wartime service. 

From the previous owner i know it was used by the Merionethshire Army Cadet Force after release from the army and they sold it in the early 60's 

Where is the best place to look for this information? 

Many thanks,

Alan 

20 answers to this question

Hello Alan,  it is not an easy task to identify a vehicles war time history unless you can uncover the remains of an original Div or unit sign by carefully sanding down to the wartime paint always assuming it has not been stripped back to bare metal at some point in it's life as a great number have been.

Post the Z number and the frame number here and perhaps some of the Bedford guys on the forum may be able to give you a little more information with regard to build date and contract number.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

My bedford is not in need of a nut and bolt restoration at this time,  nor do i have the facilities yet to carry one out, however she is going through a heavy overhaul.

I'll be rubbing down the paint so I'll see what appears through the layers of paint in the comming weeks.  

so  Z number confirmed by previous owner Z1613059

chassis number 31248 

1953 rebuild plate gives a post war registration of 22RA28

If the Bedford was rebuilt in 1953 depending on which level of rebuild was carried out it could mean overhauled/reconditioned body parts from other Bedfords were used for the rebuild, so any markings found under the paint may not neccesarily relate to your bedford

Edited by Nick Johns

Thanks Nick, 

Yes it is probable that it will  be a hoge podge of different parts, from multiple bedfords from many different locations.                                                                                                                                   The chassis number is the heart of the vehicle however, and the history is always useful. 

Edited by Africa Shell

Your bedford was in the batch of numbers 22 RA 04 to 38 RA 99  allocated to bedfords mwd 15 cwt  GS  there is a no2  keycard for your vehicle which should be at the RLC MUSEUM DEEPCUT  this will give the correct census number and as a rebuild the original census number before the rebuild as to any wartime history you will not find any it is very very rare to find details of the last unit it served with before disposal

Edited by wally dugan
missing word

The Chilwell list it's basically  Army vehicle numbers from 1 to 6277385  contract number catalog ref no (never seen the catalog)  make and type occasionally who the vehicles were allocated to or previous owner was with everything between plus numbers not allocated.

Hi

Vehicle is from contract V3964 (for 6355 vehicles), this was for various types of MW's, but mainly MWD's.

Data from contract card

Z4427893 - Z4427992 type A/T (100 vehicles)

Z4427993 - Z4428426 type MWC (434 vehicles)

Z4428427 - Z4434247 type MWD (5821 vehicles)

The data on the contract card disagrees with that of the Chillwell census

the Z number you have is a war time rebuild number,

18 hours ago, 64EK26 said:

Hi

Vehicle is from contract V3964 (for 6355 vehicles), this was for various types of MW's, but mainly MWD's.

Data from contract card

Z4427893 - Z4427992 type A/T (100 vehicles)

Z4427993 - Z4428426 type MWC (434 vehicles)

Z4428427 - Z4434247 type MWD (5821 vehicles)

The data on the contract card disagrees with that of the Chillwell census

the Z number you have is a war time rebuild number,

Z.575407

to

V.3964

Bedford

Truck 15 cwt 4x2 G.S.

"

"

Truck 15 cwt 4x2 Water

V.3904

"

Truck 15 cwt 4x2 G.S.

"

"

Van 15 cwt 4x2 G.S.

Z.4427893

to

V.3964

Bedford

Truck 15 cwt 4x2 A/Tk

Z.4427993

to

"

"

Truck 15 cwt 4x2 W/Tank

Z.4428427

to

"

"

Truck 15 cwt 4x2 G.S.

Z.4434114

to

"

Not Taken Up

Z.4434246

to

V.4569

Bedford

Truck 15 cwt 4x2 (Ex-RAF.)

taken from the Chilwell list as was my previous post Z before the census number indicates a 15 cwt Truck the Chilwell list is a good place to start not a definitive answer 

Thats what I was thinking!

BTW - a 1942 built MW would have either been built and painted in desert sand colour for the Middle East (not many of which made it back to Blighty) or in SCC.2 Brown base colour over which disruptive colour (typically black) was over painted or Micky Mouse Ear Camo which had all upper surfaces black or choc brown and the MM ears on the sides etc.

3 hours ago, Africa Shell said:

Baz and Richard, 

Thanks for the information, however im a little confused, how do you know that it came from contract V3964?

as the Z number ive got does not fall within those data ranges.   

Your chassis number falls within a range that were produced under contract V3964. If you get a copy of the keycard from the RLC, museu, this should confirm this.

The Z number range Z16000000 to Z1699999 were allocated during the war to trucks that had been re-built. So you vehicle was first rebuilt during the war, probably using the original chassis, but other parts from new/salvaged vehicles. It was the re-built again in 1953 and allocated a post war serial number 22RA28.

Some photos of your vehilce would be good

Cheers

Richard

On 2/11/2019 at 3:49 PM, LarryH57 said:

I should have said, old vehicles in a new scheme in WW2 happened a great deal.

The only problem in MV circles is giving a newer vehicle a retro scheme from a time before it was made!

People will always be tempted