Triumph 3SW/3HW Restoration

HotBed

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes there is a repeated frame number, sometimes there is a date and sometimes nothing. But it's on the back of the lug where the back frame is bolted to the front. 

OK so a DU42 6" headlamp. Which I think someone has fiited a screw clip. Still need to see the front of the rim and whatever clip fitting is there. Ron

3SW 109.jpg

3HW 164.JPG

The dome glass and rim are wrong for a WD bike (but you knew that) The screw clip is just a bodge.

Although your frame number is missing in the surviving ledgers copies, it must be from 39/40

It sounds like you might have wear in your fork bushes/spindles. If the spindles are adjusted correctly and greased, some minimal play is acceptable. Otherwise I know a guy over your way who makes bushes, spindles and steering head cup and cone kits. Ron

Edited by Ron

What's the date on the CVC box ? Any chance of seeing a couple of photos of the back plate with the cover off and the front elevation with lid ? It's much more common to see these 390 704 regulators with quite a crude 'V' cut to allow frame clamping. Early clamps were plain. They later had a reinforcing rib.

IMG_0981.JPG

On 2/11/2019 at 6:42 PM, HotBed said:

Can anyone help me with dating the gearbox, the number is TE 77214

TIA

Well the number must be some sort of serial number.. I have the following 3SW= TE 40455. 5SW= TE 84992 3HW= TE 87312.

Ron

Edited by Ron

The date on the CVC body is 7 50 which may account for the more accurately formed cutout...The basic pressing is the same as for those with the two feet (which even have the clip retainer underneath).

I've yet to crack the codes on the covers. It's made more complicated by the fact that the cover as a spare part had a separate number. Lucas don't seem to have realised during the 1930s that there was a new decade approaching and they never included the '3' for the '30s...3 7 would therefore be March 1937.

This is the cover on my 16H, dated November 1939 (11 9) with the 'Lead-Acid' marked base that would be expected up until about 1942.

IMG_1244.JPG

3 hours ago, Ron said:

Well the number must be some sort of serial number.. I have the following 3SW= TE 40455. 5SW= TE 84992 3HW= TE 87312.

Ron

I’ve just had an email from TOMCC !, when I work out how to post it on here, you might not like it though 😳

The clip fixing MCR1 will look fine on the bike and if you should ever worry, there are only about half a dozen rivet-counters in the whole world who might spot the difference...The cover is nice and pre-war and workshops didn't worry which bike they put which part back on...Does it have two small holes for the wire and lead seal ?

The dating of WD Triumphs is further complicated by the fact that the 3SW was an RASC (2nd line) vehicle and there are no surviving records of their vehicle receipts. The RAOC machines supplied to first line units are much better documented. Just out of interest, here is the reverse side of the receipt card relating to contract C7828 which commenced delivery on 29/6/1940. "Balance cancelled owing to enemy action"....Half a city flattened. Carry on, Chaps. Lest we forget...

CR 5 C7828 R.JPG