Triumph 3SW/3HW Restoration

HotBed

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After my initial test run on the 5SW where I found out that it was fitted with a silly 17T engine sprocket which made it far to under-geared, and the subsequent installation of a 20T (Blank from 'Sprockets Unlimited') I took it for a 30 mile round trip to Sammy Millers tea rooms last Sunday. 

I was really impressed with how the bike pulls and even from low revs in it's now long legs top gear. (they're about 50 lbs lighter than an M20)

The nice slick gear changes with the little pedal are a joy, although I do have to keep reminding myself of the '1 down, 3 up arrangement. Still got to run in my new bore and rings of course. Ron 

DSCF1231.jpg

DSCF1234.jpg

DSCF1266.jpg

Cheers Graham. It came with the pannier set which it wouldn't have left the factory with, but I've got so used to having them for any form of mileage, to carry kit and tools, that I'll be leaving them on.......It's a later war REME upgrade don't you know. Ron 

Well the bags on mine are repro (the only repro bags I have actually) and are quite nice and made by Schipper Fabric in USA, but they've gone out of business now. Fortunately we have  Frank Brown  on... pegasus-drive@sky.com who makes probably better ones. Mention my name if you want. Originals in reasonable condition are getting very hard to find. You should have blagged some off Stuart as part of the deal😖

A 3SW would have had an 8" headlamp, but since yours has been retro fitted with a 3HW engine, tank and back end.......The choice is yours.  Ron 

Edited by Ron

OK starting at the top. I can't be sure if that is a Triumph tool box? Somehow it doesn't look bulbous enough  (looks more like Royal Enfield but I might be wrong) The first two pictures here are what you might call pre-war Triumph and fitted to 3/5SW's (note the hinges) 

The 3HW had the same shape box but with a piano hinge and the anti undo toggle knob. Ron

3SW 111.jpg

DSCF1285.jpg

3HW 090.jpg

Harping back to the previous post. Look for the bracket that the footrest passes through....It's Triumph!

The headlamp fitted to 3/5SW's was a Lucas DU 142 and might probably have had the screw toggle clamp for the rim, although the later spring clip is next best thing. 

If your 6" headlamp has a spring clip for the rim then it most likely a wartime DU42, If it has a 'claw' type clip, then it will be a post war MU42. 

The ammeter should be a Lucas CZ27.  

DSCF1289.jpg

DSCF1291.jpg

DSCF1288.jpg

Triumph 1" handlebars were fitted right up to the last 2 or 3 contracts of 3HW's, when there was an attempt at standardization with M20 type bars and standard Amal controls.

Pre-war Triumphs had the twistgrip end of the bar swaged down to 15/16" to take Triumphs own unique twist grip. This idea was done away with for WD bikes which used 1" twist grips. 3/5SW bars were matt chrome plated. 3HW bars were painted. Ron

3SW 164.jpg

PS. Your handlebar looks like it has shells to reduce the clamps down to 7/8". Brian Tillin has made a small batch of correct WD matt chrome 1" Triumph bars.......PM me if you want contact info. Ron

Edited by Ron

It might be deceiving but somehow it looks like an 8"? Can you put a rule across the front? If it's a 6" then it could be that someone has put the screw clip in the slot that would normally have a spring clip. The reflector is post war but not really worth worrying about. Can you photograph the front of the rim and glass?

If you where to turn the lamp shell upside down, just behind that slot should be Lucas and the model number. It's feint so would probably need the paint rubbing off.  Ron