Richard Farrant

Mystery combat uniform

A friend has just asked me about a combat uniform that he has come across and asked if it could be identified. I asked about a label inside and has not not checked, but the is a Union Jack flag sewn on to one arm. The attached photo shows it on the upper left arm. He said the trousers had a drawstring around the waist. The colour and camo pattern is unusual, and with the British flag I assume it was worn by someone in UK Forces.

regards, Richard

unknown uniform.jpg

14 minutes ago, Surveyor said:

Stupid question but has it been dyed from the original pattern underneath?

No idea, but if it had, then the Union Jack badge is not discoloured. Hoping my friend can check for any labels inside.

It used to be common place to dye these in different colours, in batches for the fashion trade, many were sold at camden lock market in London, Peter wing sent hundreds to the dyers any badges were sewn on after by his many machinists

I agree, you often see them dyed for fashion sales. The badges tend to be different synthetic materials, and don't take up the dye to the same extent.

Best Regards,

Adrian

The only thing with dyeing is everything gets dyed, that is why what would be the black areas loses its definition  the one in the picture was probably a desert one so black should mean the darker brown

Edited by oats and barley
correction