D Day 2019 Motorcycle event?

John Newman

2 June the Harley WLA and WLC guys are getting together on the coast, details on the Facebook groups.

The Brit DR's will mostly be based at Etreham, best bet is to watch the WM20 BSA forum site for info. there will be rides pretty much everyday.  

German riders, there's usually a number, at the last big gathering I saw one big group and a few guys on their own, they looked very impressive. I did hear a rumor they wanted to keep themselves to themselves as they didn't want to cross paths with the Allies out of respect I think it was,  which I respect..however on talking to a few of the Brit DR's including myself there were no ill feelings and personally would have liked to have ridden together. If there is a record run it is just Allied if I recall, but if any German Riders are reading this, pretty certain you'd be very welcome, I have no issue, of course some will have strong feelings but pretty sure if any rider turns up to ride with anyone the etiquette is always just to ask around and check its OK as you would on any ride. I'd love to see some German motorcycles, I will look out for them and always have a chat,  so image there would be a place at the back on the big rides out, I'm happy to ride side by side with any DR anytime.  

Just replied on the Kradrider page, and have seen a big group with German bikes in the past too, but think they're all French?  they only do their own French forums etc, never much on English speaking forums etc.

A shame really, but 80% just cannot speak anything else than French.

Cheers,

Lex

• 2 weeks later...

With thanks to Josuah Josse, he has confirmed that Colonne Notek (German vehicles) will be at Manoir De Donville, near Carentan starting at 08:00 on the 4th June 2019 and ww2 German bikes are welcome to attend (please check that no inappropriate symbols are shown and it seems German uniforms may not be accepted or tolerated by the local police).  There may be a small tour with the vehicles and some parts selling.

As this is a good gesture on his part please obide by his rules for the event.

Look forward to seeing anyone there (if I can get my engine back together in time!).

Regards,

John

• 2 months later...

The German vehicles are forbidden, as the German uniforms, in Saint Mere Eglise. Be sure you have no wapens even if they are plastic with you this year. It will be a big issue, they are also forbidden. You see indeed German bikes but driven by the French and mostly in the French resistance transformation. In the nighbourhood of St Mere du Mont is neerly every year a German camp, but french speaking.

Here is a link also in English.

http://www.ot-baieducotentin.fr/d-day-1944/75eme-anniversaire-debarquement-programme-juin-2019/

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Anybody on this forum attend the Notek event ?

Regarding St Mere Eglise, many German vehicles present on many days, virtually none with French resistance markings and weapons were everywhere, ever other Jeep seemed to have a 30 or 50 Cal mounted.

The Notek column got 75 German vehicles and was a very good runout, they managed to put seven Schwimmwagens into a local river.

cheers Paul 

Hi Paul,

yes i have seen that as well but also police sending german vehicles away. Weapens also but i know from previous events that it could lead to big issues. So thats why better taking no risk. I've seen some nice ARIEL W/NG's. Took some pic's so i can continue with the rebuild of mine.

Brdgs Bram

Hi John,

Ouch ! that looks a bit serious,  our group also had problems, one R12 and one R75 off the road and eventually trailered back to the UK, but my R75 did 1110 Km altogether and another of our group's R12 did 1300km, both without fault. Probably luck of the draw I guess.

cheers PAUL

Hello Brdgs Bram,

Well all I can say we must have been in two different St Mere Eglise's, went into St M-E on maybe four different days with a group of German motorcycles, met others there also (no uniforms worn of course, never have done), not one problem, Gendarmes everywhere, but no problems, the Borse was great..

Same in all the towns and locations we visited between St M-E, Utah Beach and area, Dead Man's Corner, Carentan, Isigny, Omaha Beach and area etc., etc.,

Have been going to Normandy with German vehicles ever since 1989, never ever a problem anywhere.

But we do not wear uniforms, maybe that makes the difference.

cheers Paul 

lN

Edited by paul hocking

Paul,

Wow 1300km!

I've bitten the bullet with my R12's now and both engines, gearboxes and magnetos have been re-built and emptied my savings account. Despite that I'm still paranoid!

Maybe this year I'll build up the mileage and see what reliability is like.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? There is a guy called George near me in Surrey with an R75.

Regards

John

Picture1.png

Most of the problems have been ongoing for 2 years! I just had the engine re-built and bolted the gearbox back on the kick starter bush on the side of the gearbox wasn't tight to the gearbox by about two turns of the screws that hold it in place. I tightened them up while the engine was running then bang! So put a stop to plans for Normandy.