Bedford mj/mk or daf upgrade questions

bjrespect

Having seperated from my wife my life's taken more of a fun turning

I now live on a boat. Bought myself a new motorbike and generally got a fun outlook on life including my two young children. We attend steamfairs and quite like the idea of a show for them

But now I'm thinking of getting a bedford mj/mk or the day depending on budget. I have strong memories of them as my dad served 24years in the game.

Can anyone give a accurate price band

On the road project needing a little bit work of both the bedford and the day?

I would prefer the bedford personally!

And also a good place to source one?

Cheers ben

I have a DAF it’s very usable. I have driven it 12,000 miles for work  

It is slow and can’t really keep up with traffic nowadays. On the motorway it doesn’t matter but on A roads i find a queue tends to build up behind so I stop and  let them pass.

it is thirsty especially if it is pushed  

buying an unregistered one is a minefield now.  In order to pass an MOT they need so much doing  Tachograph, speed limiter side impact bars and rear under run bars for a start  

the so-called blue form is not enough to register with. If you buy one that is registered check what it is registered as  anything other than HGV or Private HGV comes with restrictions. The basic Agricultural class is useless. Registering them as 7.5 tonne is possible but remember they weigh over 6 tonnes empty so any body you put on must be light.

Unregistered direct from MOD £2k should buy one that runs and drives. But might have a little rust in the front wings. All of them  are now over 25 years old. The mileage is generally around 70k KM, so they must have been sitting in storage for most of that time. Mine did 20 miles in 10 years sat in Germany. Dealers seem to want around £4-5k. A registered one from a dealer £5-6.6k. 

Like the Bedford’s there are very few spare parts. The army has just about sold all of them now.  DAF don’t have anything on the shelf. Dave Crouch has lots of parts but the cost soon mounts up.  

You will need an HGV class C1 licence  if you don’t have one they are now expensive to get     It’s not just the test it’s all the rest.

The transmission is not designed for high (relatively) speed work all the universal joints have gone on mine one collapsed the rest wore out.

oh and it’s Euro1 emissions soon could banned from some places.

finally it has never ever failed to start first turn of the key even if left for months outside in the winter. 

The Bedford’s are probably much harder to find and I suppose over 40 years old I doubt that there are any parts now.

most of these trucks were exported to Africa back in the day. That stopped about 10 years ago that’s why there are so many DAFs and very few Bedford’s  

I put Range Rover seats in mine it’s easier on the bum.

i would consider the legal side just as much as finding one  

Anyhow that’s my opinion,  I wish you good luck in your search. 

B5DAF955-1404-45AC-BBFD-8CE3C3AF312A.jpeg

We found when the Daf was introduced into our MT units fleet it was not as good as the MJ. The MJ  is better than the MK as the turbo makes quite a difference to performance. As far as off road driving with bar grip tyre it is very good, on road the steering is lets say a more manly type of driving as opposed to the later road tyres introduced by the MOD, which makes a  considerable difference, like having power steering but not so good off road.

Mine is up for sale due to injury which is a sad day as she is great to drive. I see you are a single man again, hope the dust has settled without to many permanent injuries. When asked if I am married my normal reply is  "No my vehicles shut up when I turn them off"

Enjoy you freedom. Regards Mick

DSCN0845.JPG

Beware of Bedford MK/J/DAF, advertised for sale as MOT exempt,  changes to MOT Exemption regs back in May means all the Loophole exemptions on Form 112G have been removed,  Post 1960 commercials over 3.5ton Virtually all  are required to be tested now and can no longer be taxed without a test certificate, the new 40year old pre 1978 VHI, vehicles of historic interest MOT Exemption Only applies to vehicle up to 3.5tons

Edited by Nick Johns

I know it applies to all new registration applications (V55) but, are you sure this is applied retrospectively. I don’t know. But I would have suspected that there would have been much more noise from the DVSA by now. At the least a letter to all “exempt” keepers. Informing them of the Change. Some bloke once told me that there was a three year period of grace. I don’t know if it is true or not. 

11 minutes ago, david56 said:

I know it applies to all new registration applications (V55) but, are you sure this is applied retrospectively. I don’t know. But I would have suspected that there would have been much more noise from the DVSA by now. At the least a letter to all “exempt” keepers. Informing them of the Change. Some bloke once told me that there was a three year period of grace. I don’t know if it is true or not. 

It definitely applies retrospectively. Many folk who are not keeping themselves informed will find out when they try to claim exemption and their vehicle is no longer on the list!

• 3 weeks later...

Further to the MOT debate on Bedford MK MJ vehicles.

Let take my MJ for an example, which is still as issued by MOD after 34years and went to a new home yesterday, purchased by the first viewer at asking price.

Vehicle data. Bedford MJP, 29 KA 26 with tail lift ex RAF, date into service 14.9.1983, date cast 1.9.1995 registered with DVLA on a "Y" plate no modifcations to vehicle and tax as a Private HGV.

RoadTaxed application was made last week with the DVLA who stated it DID NOT NEED AN MOT and acepted the application. 

If you can get the index number and eleven digit V5c code, go on line, the system will state if a vehicle requires an MOT. Hope this helps.

Mick