Hopkins Engine Driven Battery Charger 12v/24v

I'm searching for information about the Hopkins Engine Driven Battery Charger 12v/24v.

I have two of these generator sets and both with the same fault. The excitor stator produces 10-16v, but has to produce 24-30v AC.

I have all handbooks (Illustrated Part Catalogue, fault table, etc...). The stator has the part number RM21KX1 from Lucas. I bought a new RM21, but it didn't produce 24-30v ac, it produced 45-60v ac but with exactly the same part number.

Does anyone here, have some experiences with these generator sets, or this exact fault?

I've been searching for information since a year but with no results.

Best regards from Germany

7 hours ago, mogmaner said:

Are you checking the voltage with a battery connected ? With no load the regulator has no reference voltage .40 to 50 volts is not uncommon in a open circuit situation .

I checked it with and without a battery connected. Same results. The manual says that the load can be connected before starting or while running, with the main switch off, so I tried both, but the resistors and capacitors in the control box started to melt and had to be exchanged.

7 hours ago, ruxy said:

Have you had a tacho on the Kubota  ?   Is it according to governor ?  There must be a stated rpm for these tests , probably a large difference in generated voltage  for small increase in speed + as stated it needs a load.

No i don't have a tacho on it. I did the test with low speed setting and higher speed settings. With low speed I had 40v and higher speed around 60v ac.

I will connect my Land Rover FFR batteries, maybe a larger load work.

7 hours ago, Foxtrott363 said:

I checked it with and without a battery connected. Same results. The manual says that the load can be connected before starting or while running, with the main switch off, so I tried both, but the resistors and capacitors in the control box started to melt and had to be exchanged.

No i don't have a tacho on it. I did the test with low speed setting and higher speed settings. With low speed I had 40v and higher speed around 60v ac.

I will connect my Land Rover FFR batteries, maybe a larger load work.

That will give you the option of the Range Setting of  14 or 28 ,  unfortunately I don't have any paperwork at all - so you are better informed than I.  Have intended obtaining  Info. from Green Machine Surplus but never got around to it.   I just used my loaf ,  pondered on the MCB switch , coupled to Lightweight FFR starting batteries in series, ran it for a short while to drain the small qty. of petrol in the Jerry. Nothing melted or blew up , so boxed it up again.

Edited by ruxy
spelin