GoranWC51

Mystery Krupp ((?) vehicle

A newspaper clipping from Nov 12 1944 published on the G503 forum on Facebook is showing, apart from the Jeep equipped with a rear mounted 50 cal, also a mystery ARC, American Red Cross Clubmobile vehicle, claimed to be of ex German origin and made by Krupp.

It seems to be a COE, Cab Over Engine, model. Probably a former radio or command truck. I have very little knowledge on German vehicles, but a quick Google search came up with Krupp trucks and cars, with the, for me, typical snout nose, none were COE.

I have tried to make the photo as clear as I could.

Any help in pinpointing the model etc much appreciated

Clubmobile-Italy-ARC-St Petersburg Times-Sunday-November 12-1944.jpg

Clubmobile-Italy-ARC-Krupp Truck turned into Clubmobile-final-SMALL.jpg

Clubmobile-Italy-ARC-Krupp Truck turned into Clubmobile----SMALL.jpg

That Clubmobile looks like a standard American truck with a body and cab by Montpelier or Metropolitan, which did such COE conversions through the 30's into the early '40's when manufacturers own COE cabs appeared.

I doubt, though, that that is the case. It doesn't look American for one, and second the article gives the trucks origins as German, even if Krupp seems unlikely.

Do you have any photos of the US made COE trucks you're referring to?

I am with Johann on this one, and putting it's origins as French rather than American.  The Peugeot DMA, was one COE type trck used in large numbers by the Germans. They put their hands on thousands of vehicles at the start of the war. The Allies left scores of vehicles behind at Dunkerque, and the French army left all their rolling stock behind when they surrendered. It must have been a logistical nightmare to find parts and repair and service all these different vehicles, of very different origin. The Americans, on the other hand, used it to their advantage to standardise many of the items thaat could be used across the line, gauges, for example.

The search continues,

G

Peugeot trcuk COE.jpg

International Metropolitan van:

1941_D15M_3.jpg

... and a late 1930's Dodge with a Montpelier body

oo1937DodgeCOE2.jpg

The truck could have been bought in the US with charity funds and forwarded to the Red Cross effort

Edited by Gordon_M

Krupp did produce some forward-control coaches and busses but larger and more elegant than this one...is the vehicle in the photo the 'Doughnut kitchen' (which was a Krupp truck) or the 'sleeping quarters' - the Clubmobile van ?

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried._Krupp_Motoren-_und_Kraftwagenfabriken

http://www.kfzderwehrmacht.de/Hauptseite_deutsch/Kraftfahrzeuge/Deutschland/Krupp/Krupp_Protze/krupp_protze.html

Rereading this, I wondered whether the truck in the picture is just the sleeping van mentioned in the article, and the Krupp (together with the weapons carrier) is not actually in the picture at all!

Any thoughts anyone?

Steve.