Bedford MW fuel taps

Africa Shell

Question

Hi guys, 

I've been overhauling my 1941 Bedford mwd and have had many amusing and frustrating nights with my fuel system, which involved badly corroded pipes and strategically embarrassing leaks.

My next problem is my fuel taps, specifically the fuel shuttle valve with the two cork seals, now my original ones have come off intact, however after soaking to try and begin them back to life i have admitted defeat, and am looking for replacements seals  

My question to the learned collective is does anyone know of a suitable replacement for these cork seals ? 

I was thinking of using lengths if rubber tubbing ? 

3 answers to this question

These taps were also used on some outboard motors. Corks are available from Sheridan marine. https://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/british-seagull-outboard-metal-fuel-tap-overhaul-kit

I seem to remember someone replacing the corks with nitrile O rings mounted on brass spacers.

Chris

Edited by rustystuff
Additional information

Thanks Pete and Chris,

i tried using multiple o-rings and rubber tubing thinking modern materials would be better, but after many attempts and leaks i admitted defeat.

In the end i got some replacements from chris morter as i needed some other bits from him anyway, and  the cork works perfectly. 

ah well you live and learn 

thanks again 

Alan 

• Like 1