10cwt GS questions

peter75

I have a couple questions about my 10cwt GS trailer,

There is a small bracket on the under side of the drawbar just behind the stand, should there be one each side and is this the anchor point for the handbrake return springs? Dose anyone have pictures and measurements?

On the back right corner post there is a piece of angle iron that's been cut off, is this the original mounting point of the T plate?

Peter.

IMG_20181227_110040.jpg

IMG_20181227_110125.jpg

Yes, small lug is for handbrake return spring. I think the cut off angle may be for convoy light mount.  Had to make all these on mine from just pictures, made the whole 7” of lower trailer from scratch, sides, floor, complete drawbar, all clips, brackets and mounts, even spring hangers

Hi Pete,

The angle may be part of the T plate mount, although originally mine was just flat bar welded to the rear face of the corner post. Different manufacturers may have done it differently though. The two tabs are for the two handbrake return speings as Hoseman saystrailer.jpg.46f44332892f927c23270ec8b7b8f544.jpg

IMG_2593.thumb.JPG.98cdaacd9711742cb3515416d500dbce.JPG

Edited by simon king

Thanks Hoseman and Simon.

The convoy light is still in position and I have seen T plates in the area of this cut angle iron but there are no marks for a second to hold the T plate at the top.

I have made a best guess for the return spring anchors.

Peter.

IMG_20181227_161946.jpg

Hi Simon.

The centre bracket of my 3 brackets looks to be to the left of the centre line and the convoy light is bolted to the bottom edge of the cross member next to the bracket on the centre line with a single bolt. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Peter.

Thanks Peter. That’s useful.

I don’t think these GS trailers had any lighting at all when first built so there were variations, not only in how and where the lights were fitted but also how the trailer lights were connected to the towing vehicle. 

Some seemed to have the cable coming out through a hole drilled in the plate at the front of the drawbar. These then had  “park socket” for the cable on the side of the drawbar. In others the trailer cabling seemed to start at a female connector half way down the drawbar and it was linked to the towing vehicle by a separate cable with male connectors at either end. I guess fitters just drew what parts they needed from stores.