Humber Pig fuel pump

webley455

Question

My mechanical fuel pump packed up a couple of weeks ago. I took it off (not the easiest task) put in an overhaul kit and have refitted it.

I cleaned the pipes and filter but there is still no fuel being fed through.

I am considering bypassing it and fitting an electric fuel pump (leaving the disconnected one in situ

Has anyone fitted an electric fuel pump to a Pig who can suggest which would be the best one to fit?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Norman

10 answers to this question

Norman I have had several Humbers & never felt the need to fit an electric pump. When you removed the pump could you feel a suction on your thumb on the inlet as you worked the primer & were you able to at least get that when it had been rebuilt?

I would make sure the bleed screw & washer at the top of the filter are air tight. Also check the fuel change over switch, observing fuel switch position is not the same logic of direction as in a Land Rover.

It is indeed a tiresome thing to replace. I assume you remove the divided foot pedal panel to get access. Before you take it off do make sure the bleed screw at the top of the fuel filter is not allowing air to be drawn in - I have had this happen on a couple of vehicles & it is fault that often seems to crop up as well as air leaking in the fuel tank switch  & make sure that you prime the filter bowl well with fuel when you reassemble it.

Make sure pick up pipe in the tank is clear, they can silt up. Try compressed air down the pipe and listen for bubbles. Check pipe work connections are tight. The tap can get blocked too, as fuel travels through the actual rotating top. A quick check is with a jerry can and use a 1/2 inch rubber pipe connected to the output pipe to the lift pump.

So what did you find was the problem? Sounds to be running nicely.

The User Handbook won't give details of POLs etc this info is contained in the Servicing Schedule Army Code No.13068

The reason being that lubricants may become superseded as the result of improvements, changing role, obsolescence etc So a small pamphlet can be changed without too much difficulty, demonstrated by the fact that in more recent years the SS has been amended & revised in 1973, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1990

I have the latest version somewhere.

• Like 1

I have removed my tap and replaced with a tee piece 3/8 BSP and two connections to the original steel pipework, blank fitted to the third outlet. (Found its the same length as the tap). I am running on the drivers tank as don't need 2 tanks. (was finding 3 gallons of stale petrol in left tank and having to drain off).  Cleaned fuel filter as it get blocked up with being stood too.

Yours does sound well. Have done a good job.

Edited by Peakrec

Use a mineral gear oil in the transmission, axles, Tracta housings, steering box, I have found 140 grade works fine, 90 grade can be a little thin and leaks out . Use this oil in the upper and lower suspension components too, Not grease. (Need a good grease /oil gun). A good petrol engine oil, mineral based for the engine. General purpose grease in the wheel bearings with couple of squirts of oil to keep soft.

Have fun, its a days job going round it all and slow with the tracta joints too.