robin craig

Plug Removal Tools, Ferret and what?

Question

So, I have two plug removal tools in my possession.

One for sure is the Ferret fluid flywheel tool, in these photos it is the lower one and the one with the external hex shape on the end.

The other one is of the same style of design but the plug it removes is a larger one and the tool has a different FV number.

What is this other tool for, I would love to know as it is driving me potty

plug tools 01.jpg

plug tools 02.jpg

Plug tools 03.jpg

10 answers to this question

Richard, why would they make the plug head larger but leave the threaded portion the same size? Would it be for better leverage to get them out?

2 hours ago, robin craig said:

Richard, why would they make the plug head larger but leave the threaded portion the same size? Would it be for better leverage to get them out?

The threaded portion of the tool is only to retain the plug, why would that need to be any different?

Richard, my english composition let me down, again. Let me re write that to better explain.

Ver 2 "Why would they re design the plug itself to have all the same specs except for the OD of the Hex shoulder that the tool bears on? "

Just checked to refresh my memory, the Ferret and Saracen/Saladin plugs are the same part number, so it is the Fox that had the larger hex. and I think this was due to it having a Dowty sealing washer that required a larger shoulder on the plug.

I think the Fox plug is the same size as Ferret (it’s been a while) but the Fox flywheel tool is longer.

Brilliant Richard, thank you, so a Dowty sealing washer eh? what is so special about them versus what was used on Ferrets then?

Better sealing properties than a copper washer that has been used several times. dont forget the level plug is a regular check for the crew.

I thought you had experience of a Fox in Canada?

Richard, thanks for your answer.

Yes we have a Fox out here but it only ran for a couple of seasons until we found enough wrong with it that we parked it in a sea container pending a tear down. We just don't have time to work on the fleet as much as I would like as we are also tasked elsewhere at work. The fleet usage has shrunk dramatically and several have been moved on and the rest we are trying to stabilise and hangar for long term storage as best we can. The Fox will come out of the sea container and get attention but not for a few years yet. My memory on the exact details on some of the vehicles is getting thin, fade is real.

Thanks again Richard