2ndArmourMad

• 2 weeks later...

When I had my m-2-4 & trailer inspected by the DLVA for tax class .i was told I could not carry any bombs on the trailer as  it was loaded .And would require HGV road tax. & plating  .  But if the bombs where fixed (bolted  or welded ). It then became part of the trailer for desplay & not a load.  Before you carry an think on your GMC . Do some homework on what you can carry leagley 

T CORBIN

9 hours ago, 2ndArmourMad said:

The truck is registered as a flat bed so there is no issue with carrying stuff, the truck is also plated upto 9500kilos but weighs less then a standard 353. 

AS the vehicle is plated so assume its MOT'd and liable for tax as a goods vehicle then assume it is registered and insured as such not historic then carrying goods is not an issue - subject to the driver having the correct licencing category covering the maximum authorised mass for the vehicle type being driven loaded or otherwise - I agree with GTB-Man

9 hours ago, 2ndArmourMad said:

The truck is registered as a flat bed so there is no issue with carrying stuff, the truck is also plated upto 9500kilos but weighs less then a standard 353. 

When you say 'plated', do you mean it has a current DVSA MoT? If so I'm very impressed...

- MG

The type of body fitted is totally irrelevant, until the vehicle is plated , tested and registered as a goods vehicle it is illegal to carry a load unless that load is a fixed part of the vehicle, End of story.

This has nothing to do with your license or insurance, and we may not know your particular truck but we do know the law as it relates to what you are doing.

An untested truck cannot be used laden. A vehicle taxed as historic cannot be used laden. Is it tested? Is it taxed PHG?

Remember the small print says your insurance is only valid if the vehicle is being used legally.

MG

I believe all of the comments made above were made in good faith and what the authors of those posts believed to be correct. A call to the DVLA may be beneficial in regards to legality. The Jimmy is I think an interesting conversion and your mods to the loadbead make it more practical usable vehicle, a vehicle I toyed with bidding on when it was offered for sale. This is a useful forum littered with people who know their subject, the trick is knowing if what's on here is relevant to your needs

On 1/3/2019 at 9:42 AM, Baz48 said:

I believe all of the comments made above were made in good faith and what the authors of those posts believed to be correct. A call to the DVLA may be beneficial in regards to legality. The Jimmy is I think an interesting conversion and your mods to the loadbead make it more practical usable vehicle, a vehicle I toyed with bidding on when it was offered for sale. This is a useful forum littered with people who know their subject, the trick is knowing if what's on here is relevant to your needs

Edited by 2ndArmourMad

My concerns regarding this argument are :

A) - The driver if and when they fall foul of the law and the ramifications of in effect driving a vehicle without valid insurance - as rightly stated - driving a vehicle that is not registered or plated to carry loads is an offence and as such would make any insurance null and void - thus giving the authorities the power to seize and crush the vehicle if they wish - and they very often do..

B) - Anyone unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident with this vehicle - there will be no insurance for either party - and if an MVT member - PPLI will not cover you....

C) - The rest of the Military and Classic vehicle community who will then be under the spotlight once again for all the wrong reasons. Our hobby is facing enough pressure from the Government and DVLA as it is without the question of individuals flouting the law knowingly or vehicles being used inappropriately .

- That aside - I love the truck, its both unusual and I think a good looking conversion and (if you lost the hiab in my personal opinion) could easily pass for a wartime modification. I always enjoy restoration pictures as does everyone im sure and thank you for sharing them. I think the modifications to the rear beavertail  enhance it and make it both safer and more in keeping with the wartime look.

Was the chassis previously a workshop bodied variant ? - it has the workshop fuel tank and if so, should also have the additional chassis bracing which is obvious to see if you look under the vehicle

I've also seen GMC's Cargo's carrying jeeps in the rear  - so unfortunately this is by no means a lone example - but given all the advice and warnings - I can only hope that the owner/driver re-think the plan to carry the weasel as a load until the vehicle is plated and registered / legally allowed to do so -  whilst I appreciate the original post and its direction may have been over-taken by the comments regarding the carrying of the weasel and the legal requirements - please take them as advice and not as personal attacks or insults -  the comments/warnings and solutions are offered in good faith by genuine people who know what they are talking about and are offered to help you enjoy your vehicle and the hobby whilst staying both stay safe and legal.

I would ask if you are so convinced you are legally entitled to carry such loads - what you have done to achieve this so that other members with similar vehicles can then do so that they may also carry such loads, it would be very good for others using this forum who could then benefit from your wisdom and actions. 

• Like 1

Its easy enough to identify if it was a workshop - there were two additional strengthening strips attached to the chassis rails as early testing of the Workshops with a load resulted in the chassis bending just behind the cab mounts....where is the spare wheel located? - if its on the opposite side to the fuel tank / forward position under the chassis and is in a drop down cradle then it would also point towards a workshop variant as the cab and chassis were unique and different to any of the other GMC CCKW variants.

first picture shows the location and look of the workshop spare wheel carrier - the second is looking up from below at the additional strengthening brace that is fixed in parallel to the chassis rails 

WP_20180425_13_10_43_Pro - Copy - Copy.jpg

WP_20180702_13_00_58_Pro - Copy - Copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, oats and barley said:

We have all seen the Diamond T, Rogers trailer with a Sherman on the back so is that a fixed load or is it plated and tested 

2 hours ago, oats and barley said:

Previously a Diamond T 980 prime mover could be operated as an MOT exempt "Heavy Locomotive" vehicle to haul a laden Drawbar trailer, now the recent changes to MOT exemptions  Heavy Locomotives built on a production HGV vehicle will Now have to be tested, as will All heavy trailers will have to be Tested too if used laden

Edited by Nick Johns