My new camping cooker

R Cubed

Hi R cubed,

Our group has a No 5 cooker which was lent to CanadianScottish and the WW1 group at Detling he was only cooking for between 50 - 70 off them. Report was it worked very well. So it might be better if you only cook for large numbers of people - I like a fried slice with my breakfast.

Can somone explain to me how to use this infernal contraption ;-)

There are several variable controls, gas, air control and pully pushy knobs :shake:

width=640 height=480http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h211/R_Cubed/Frontcontrols1.jpg[/img]

What is the purpose of the centre brown burner in the middle always being on when the gas valve is open ?

width=640 height=480http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h211/R_Cubed/Gasrings.jpg[/img]

More complicated green stuff to put in the truck :whistle: :whistle:

Listen, R Cubed, I wouldn't worry about what goes where, I'd be more inclined to worry about when was the last time someome washed the thing.

You can almost see Sam & Ella waiting to give you a touch of the vindaloos.

Trust me when these are fired up nothing will be living on it :whistle:

R Cubed,

did it come complete with this pilot lighting accessory :evil:

No.5 cooker Chef's suit

width=640 height=1315http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10875527/Fire_Proof_Suit.jpg[/img]

Listen, R Cubed, I wouldn't worry about what goes where, I'd be more inclined to worry about when was the last time someome washed the thing.

You can almost see Sam & Ella waiting to give you a touch of the vindaloos.

Thanks for your concern, it looks much worse in the pic than it actually is, all the dodgy looking bits are just rust where the silver paint has flaked off. No signs of left over food on it anywhere.

soon to get a wash down with bleach anyway just incase and a bit of a tart up on the paint ready for maximum use in 2008.

Having been camping with the Cubeds I would expect nothing less then a cooker this size to feed the Cublets - in fact I am suprised that it is this small :schocked:

Right, thats that then, no fried bread and mushrooms for you then ;-)

Never seen these before, but looks to me as if:

the central vane is the gas/air mixing valve,

the little screw at 2 o'clock is the locking device for the vane,

the outer black knobs regulate the air/gas mixture to the burners,

no idea about the others (central burner control??), but it must be a fearsome beast!

Does it really mix air and gas before the burners? That would usually result in a big bang and some stunning pyrotechnics :evil:

Never seen these before, but looks to me as if:

the central vane is the gas/air mixing valve,

the little screw at 2 o'clock is the locking device for the vane,

the outer black knobs regulate the air/gas mixture to the burners,

no idea about the others (central burner control??), but it must be a fearsome beast!

Does it really mix air and gas before the burners? That would usually result in a big bang and some stunning pyrotechnics :evil:

The central valve controls the gas flow from off to max, I have figured this bit out, the little screw at 2 o'clock is a gear to shut or open the air vane.

You are right about the fuel air mix this is done before the gas rings !!

width=640 height=480http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/ian2b/no5COOKERCONTROL.jpg[/img]

You need to turn on the main gas supply and light BOTH the centre brown looking ones, these stay on all the time you are cooking, there is a control knob for the centre burners so you can adjust it to what size flame you need (we normaly cook with the centre ones because they are always on) The out black knobs will let you turn on the gas for the outer rings back and front.

Good luck and keep your head back so you can keep your eyebrows. Use a long lighter.

width=640 height=480http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/ian2b/no5COOKERCONTROL.jpg[/img]

Good luck and keep your head back so you can keep your eyebrows. Use a long lighter.

I have found out that you can NOT use matches to light this

:shake: :shake:

my fingers got quite hot :whistle:

I still have my eyebrows though so must be doing something right.

You're lucky it's got the gas conversion.. the petrol versions were exciting :shake:

The best way to light the cooker is "get someone else to light it " and stand clear. :-D

Been playing with it, I mean my gas cooker not anything else :whistle: When I open one of the other 4 rings the front centre one goes out ? also the vane thing does not control the centre burner only but controls all the rings as well, why is this on all the time ? seems a bit silly if you need to use a ring :dunno: but it allows for blue hot flames or yellow wimpy flames, just like the old bunsen burners at school :|

More info on how to opperate it would be nice please.