Graham

W D Broad Arrow

Hi.   What I thought was a simple search on Google for an example of the WD stencil for marking my WW2 bike.  But I couldn't find one, does anyone have a printed example I can make a stencil from please?

What bike is it and how are you trying to portray it? I'm not aware that any broad arrows were stenciled onto motorcycles, but you will find help and assistance for stencils here. https://www.axholmesigns.co.uk/

Ron

Thanks Ron. I have seen a circle of canvas around the filler cap on a BSA M with a stencilled broad arrow and date I fancy copying.  I assume it was catch drips and protect the tank when filling?

Thank you.  That is a great help.  It seems that the 'broad arrow' comes in a variety of shapes so I should be able to make a stencil form these examples.

The circle piece around the filler cap is pretty well pure fiction. A couple of us started it years ago by refining the rough shaped piece of canvas that a DR had fitted to his tank to obviously mop up the drips. Seen in an old B&W picture taken during the war.(16H from memory) I think I have that picture somewhere and I'll post it when I find it.

As more blokes have taken to doing it, we jokingly refer to them being a fully paid up member of the 'Ring Piece Club'

Frank Brown has even added it to the motorcycle canvas parts he makes (email him for pictures :- ................    pegasus-drive@sky.com)

I see that he is adding a date and broad arrow........I hope it doesn't turn into a folk law myth. Ron

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

Just a snippet of information. The Correct term for the WD Arrow is a 'Pheon'.

As we live in a sad politicly correct age now, I thought that might be 'Appropriate' (?)...😁

41 minutes ago, ferretfixer said:

Just a snippet of information. The Correct term for the WD Arrow is a 'Pheon'.

As we live in a sad politicly correct age now, I thought that might be 'Appropriate' (?)...😁

Although the quoted Wiki article disagrees:

"The broad arrow as a heraldic device comprises a tang with two converging blades, or barbs. When these barbs are engrailed on their inner edges, the device may be termed a pheon. Woodward's Treatise on Heraldry: British and Foreign with English and French Glossaries (1892), makes the following distinction: "A BROAD ARROW and a PHEON are represented similarly, except that the Pheon has its inner edges jagged, or engrailed."[1] Parker's Glossary of Terms Used in Heraldry (1894) likewise states, "A broad arrow differs somewhat... and resembles a pheon, except in the omission of the jagged edge on the inside of the barbs."

Not sure whether that's 'politically correct' or not, but seems to simply be 'correct'... 😉

I think it's safe to say that the 'Broad Arrow' is based on the Pheon😊  Ron

Awwww Ron, and I was so looking forward to making one! Mind you everthing else is made up on my outfit I still dress it up with one to keep the myth going. :)

Graham you will need one to be a member of 'Ring Piece Club'!!!

Mine's been on my M20 for 10-12 years now. I got a lady to sew some blanket stitching around the edge. No date or broad arrow! The myth is escalating.😕

Ironically my filler cap with the new leather seal I fitted years ago doesn't leak anyway.  Ron 

M20 310.JPG

Edited by Ron
add picture

There should be a badge for the 'Ring Piece Club', not sure where I would wear it though!  ;)   As you are the founding member I will collect my badge form you at next year's Netley.   All this is making me want to get on the bike and have a ride up here in sunny Lancashire.  Cheers.

You've got the biggest one I've ever seen.....ooooow Matron. Who knows were the myth will end? Canvas covered petrol tanks??😄 Ron

18 hours ago, MatchFuzee said:

The broad arrow is also know as a crows foot or admiralty arrow.

Yes Crows Foot still is the In Service Colloquial name for the Arrow (Pheon)  😊

Even molded in to the Bricks at the Forte in Corfu, either to stop Squadies selling them to the locals or the locals helping themselves ...

They were part of a walkway and stapes that I stumbled upon when searching for the Toilet.

6KCqyvw.jpg

• Like 1

Brilliant.  What  like about forums is that a topic like this can bring up other related topics.  

12 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

Even molded in to the Bricks at the Forte in Corfu, either to stop Squadies selling them to the locals or the locals helping themselves ...

They were part of a walkway and stapes that I stumbled upon when searching for the Toilet.

6KCqyvw.jpg

Poor Brick laying skills there Dukie! LOL.

They should all be pointing the same way. Adding a Benefit of pointing 'The  Way In'!  :)

9 hours ago, ferretfixer said:

Poor Brick laying skills there Dukie! LOL.

They should all be pointing the same way. Adding a Benefit of pointing 'The  Way In'!  :)

Maybe an intelligence test

Ron I see a member of the 'Ring Piece Club' is selling a bike on eBay.  Nice looking bike.