New toy

Mk3iain

1 hour ago, Mk3iain said:

After about 5 months my new toy has arrived from Australia! 

I am really pleased with the condition with 28000km on the clock backed up by the service record that I also have.

Now something will have to go...

More pics etc later.

Iain

Hi Iain,

I have driven one of these in Australia and they go well. A lot have been rebuilt and are in very good order when sold off. Well done, you will enjoy it.

Richard

I drove it home from Milton Keynes via Greatyarmouth, Teebay and Glasgow, quite a first drive. I did overnight in Tebay.. About 900km I think.

Very happy with it, road noise like the series landy's in the mob in my time but I had ear plugs. It's very clean and was rebuilt and upgraded in 2008 by Tenix, there are things to do of course but nothing pressing. ( except changing the coolant for anti freeze).

Its early days but so far all good!

Iain

6 minutes ago, MatchFuzee said:

I had to search RFSV and it is Regional Force Surveillance Vehicle.

Specification and photos:- 

http://www.remlr.com/perentie-RFSV.html

That's a good site with some interesting photos.

The original military reg no was 51 726, I haven't spotted it anywhere yet.

If you look on the Australian Frontline Machinery website it has all the manuals for just about every bit of kit sold by the Australian military, including of course the Perenties.

Iain

• 1 month later...

I'm getting used to living with the Landy and taking care of small jobs. So far, changing the coolant for anti- freeze, changing the fan belt, adjusting the doors and the bonnet( it was an inch high).

I am now looking at changing the filters and oils. The engine and gearbox have SAE 40 (OMD 115) as used in Australia, should I change to another grade for our colder climate. I suspect that the gearbox feels better and improves when warm, not unusual but maybe the oil is too viscous?

It's not used to the cold after a lifetime in the Australian bush....

Iain

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not being very knowledgable,  what would be the grade of oil recommended for the engine? I am told they are very tolerant but I would like to look after it for the long term.

The gearbox and transfer box use engine oil but things have advanced a bit over the years and gearbox oils/fluids for this type of box are around now that did not exist.  I looked on the Australian Land Rover forum and there is lots of discussion on the subject and many recommendations, but what would you folk suggest?

As part of the settling in process a rad hose has started leaking....  I had asked for a spare set with the Landy but it got overlooked and now I need a bottom hose. I was going to get a set of silicon hoses made but the cost that I have seen are very high! Any ideas? 

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

many thanks

Iain

15w/40 'Standard'  fleet oil should be OK in these. I ran an Isuzu disel, fitted to a Range Rover,  on it for years. One point , don't overfill it! They are very touchy about to much oil. Years agao I talked to some of the DERA guys who were evaluating the Perenti for advice on my engine. That was the only the thing they could find. As for the Silicon hoses, yes they are intially expensive, but I never had to change one in ten years. I managed to puncture the sump on mine (Showing off off road) still miss the engine and vehicle. Depending on the size of the hole, you can get two part Hose Repair Tape. That works very well.

Edited by Tony B

Thank you very much Tony!

I'll get some 15/w40 and change the oil and filters, still pondering the gearbox oil but I'll not be doing big miles so may stick to the same as the engine. I have read that the 4BD1 is rated for 5 t class  vehicles so not working hard in a Landy even at its max weight.

The prices I have seen for silicon hoses are around £70 each and minimum of 2 as they are preformed with different diameter ends. My hose has a pinhole about half inch from the clamp at the water pump, I'll try some tape while I wait on hoses coming from Australia.

There is a very good article from an Australian classic car (BMC)  mag that I have a copy of. It explains the whole story from trials and development. Apparently the Isuzu engine was picked as it had similar specs to the rover v8 and Isuzu were happy to work with them and supply a bespoke version. I have this as a download and if anyone is interested can email it to them.

cheers

Iain

Thanks guys!

Yes it's the LT95a and the recommended oil is the same as the engine and that is what I'll use. looking on an Australian forum (remlr) there is a lot of discussion on the subject and on advances in oils/fluids with many recommending such as Castrol Syntrans. I'll be happy with engine oil as I'll not be doing big miles and will carry out regular oil changes. I did make the mistake many years ago of filling a SD1 manual box with gear oil, it was instantly very noisey. Never again!!

I had thought that I had a problem as when hot there is a clatter from the box but again on the other forum it's recognised as a 4BD1/LT95a thing......phew!

Interestingly they use the output used on the 101 for powered trailer for the third axel on the 6x6. 

I'll get some pics from underneath of the installation and of the widened rear chassis.

Iain

5 hours ago, Tony B said:

Isuzu engine and Range Rover box.  The disel Range Rover should have had in the first place. I'd recommend this compny for engine advice and parts, http://www.feather-diesel.co.uk

They are the ones Isuzu UK recommended to me.

For a pin hole the two part tape could well go on for years.

Thanks Tony I'll look them up!

Hopefully the engine won't need parts very often but you never know...

The space to the left of the fuel filter is for an ARB compressor used for tyre inflation, I'll replace that and the perished hose in time.

IMAG0361.JPG

IMAG0360.JPG

IMAG0359.JPG

Some  pictures from underneath showing the widened rear chassis and the gearbox PTO with 3 part shaft to the winch.

Also the front axle cast with "Australia Land Rover".

It is not noted in any narrative that I have read but the chassis has a Solihull vin number showing it as a 1989 manufactured knock down kit with undetermined engine. This vehicle was delivered in 1991 and most likely constructed in 1990. I presume that many if not all of the 4x4 kits were delivered in that year and built over the next couple of years. It would be interesting to see if the 6x6 versions have a Solihull vin as the chassis were entirely made in Australia with only a few panels etc from standard Land Rover parts.

IMAG0347.JPG

IMAG0351.JPG

IMAG0353.JPG

IMAG0352.JPG

IMAG0355.JPG

IMAG0356.JPG

59 minutes ago, Surveyor said:

Have you found out the history similar to a Merlin report, that would be good to see

I have the Service record book, it details every service, modification and repair and parts used since rebuild. It also details the rebuild by Tenix Defense Systems in June 2008.

It was then with Norforce before passing to 51 FNQR in April 2010.A couple of picture of the record book. I'll post more soon if any interest.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 3 months later...