Engine Paint colour

Nrhampton

Hi all

im trying to find out what colour a wartime Gardner 6lw would have been, vehicle colour or I know some Gardner’s were grey.

The colour now is the light green but believe this was repainted when over hauled in the fifties.

Edited by Nrhampton

Thank you for the colour name,  I did find some paint tonight when cleaning the block though a very tiny piece looks  like the colour you mentioned.

Would this colour also be used through RAF vehicles as I also have a RAF Scammell pioneer that I’m rebuilding.

There is a thread some where on here dicussing war-time paint colours.   It will also depend if you want a rebuild colour or as it left the factory.  Even then under war-time conditions the manufacturers may not have followed pre-war practice. 

Edited by REME 245

3 hours ago, Scammell4199 said:

I've just painted the engine for our Pioneer in Gardner Grey.

You can order it online at: www.stationaryengineparts.com

All the best, Richard

ENGINE.jpg

Looks good but as I remember only the blocks and bare heads were grey ex factory, the rest was either bare or painted silver??

4 hours ago, Scammell4199 said:

My feeling was that the engine being a bought in item (to Scammell), so it would have come in the manufacturers standard colour.

Indeed if restoring just about any vehicle to a post war 50s 60s and probably later spec the engine would be eau-de-nil.

The rebuild colour changed to light blue probably in the late 50's or early 60's.   In the thread I refered to a poster confirmed having a war-time rebuilt dated engine in eau-de-nil so it was in use for rebuilds before the end of the war.

Edited by REME 245