Munga talk...

Snapper

Hello Munga fans!

Im new to this forum but thought id post in the munga section seeing as I happen to own one! Im also going to be asking for some advice regarding transmission issues, but first a few pics of my little green monster!

IMG20110708_001.jpg

IMG20110712_008.jpg

IMG20110712_006.jpg

and this is it last wednesday morning we drove it to war and peace, the gun mounting is only on at the moment as the windscreens still not fully ready to go back on, it looked great packing an m60 though..

IMG20110720_002.jpg

thanks mark! its still a work in progress but im doing about 50 miles a week in it at the moment, mainly to run it in again. im following your mungas progress, it looks like your doing a fine job with it!

its a grand way for your dad to spend his time! mines powered by a fiat panda 1.2 lump. its a great little engine with bags of oomph and best of all its giving around 40mpg, i have thought about returning it to original but its probably beyond my abilities at this time, and i have to admit the panda lump is a doddle to work on. I havent seen a spare lump for one of these thats been in working order, again I think when i last went to bob days place he had a couple of seized blocks but no complete units.

btw heres the bits i have, the dash has one missing switch,

IMG20110726_008.jpg

IMG20110726_001.jpg

IMG20110726_002.jpg

IMG20110726_003.jpg

IMG20110726_007.jpgIMG20110726_006.jpgIMG20110726_005.jpgIMG20110726_004.jpg

no it has an adaptor plate. other than that though it fits in the bay a treat. i did have a few issues when i fitted its new clutch too--the outer circumference of the clutch had to be machined down by 5mm all around to make it physically fit, it doesnt seem to have made much difference to the clutch though had a few teething issues.

Hi - good to see another Munga on here:laugh:

I used to live near Colchester until moving to mid-Wales about 6 years ago - bought my Munga last year from near Ipswich, still got the 3-cylinder 2-stroke smoker in it.

Don't know what your transmission issues are, mine is reluctant to engage low box (or restore to high box!) Andrew was going to let us have details of a mod to fix this, but haven't heard from him lately.

Fun little beasts though!

John

HI john! Shame you moved, colchesters only about 30 miles away! my transmission issues are basically the same as yours, my hi-lo doesnt work properly, in hi ratio it keeps going out of gear (even with the stick still lodged in whatever gear it was in) and only returns when you tug the hi-lo handle. and its developed a habit of making a loud honking noise when lifting the clutch and applying the gas, which doesnt happen when the hi lo levers pulled out into low range. add to that thanks to this forum i just discovered its full of the wrong oil--ep80 rather than sae 80,, which explains why my front seal is peeing tranny oil out... so at mo its in garage with me tugging the engine free so as to do some gearbox jiggery pokery..... fun!

i also suspect that its not actually ever going into low range as it will do 90kph in low without sounding even slighty annoyed.

Edited by mitch

not to bad actually mate , pull the willys out, the munga body is under a hoist , lift it up, pull bantam trailer out . wheel chassis under , lower ...... easy when you know how lol ............if he actually had a clear out it is a big garage lol ( about 5 car length.) hard to believe we use to have a dodge weapons carrier in ther too !......

Right the saga of the honking clutch,, paqrt 2!!

I took the engine out today, (the first time i have ever done this on my own!) and exposed the thrust bearing and foront gearbox seal.

As expected the seal was weeping like a widow, (SAE80 oil on order and ep80 being drained tomorrow!)

when i took the thrust bearing off i noticed that it had some fresh wear on the sides, and the rebates that the retaining wire lock into had been worn almost away... does this mean a new thrust bearing has to be sought?

sorry the images arent great

IMG20110728_002.jpg

IMG20110728_001.jpg

Ok, decided today to take the gearbox out and do a proper job of sorting these problems while at the same time giving the box an overhaul. If anyone has any practical knowledge of the inner workings or even better some sort of workshop manual, i'd be willing to keep you in beer for a very long evening as a thankyou!

ps mark--havent posted the bits yet--been frantic over here. but they will be in the post this week!