Raiders truck

Higginsboat

Hi everyone, first post, here goes. The Merc GMC  truck from the iconic film Raiders of the lost Ark, built by the late great Charlie Mann. Is in one of my favourite vehicle chases of all time, and filmed for real on location in Tunisia back in 1980! Is there anyone on the HMVF forum who might have any info story's or pics about this truck being built that they would be willing to share, any nugget is of interest! And if you or you know of someone who was involved in its prep, wow.....  well cheers. "Truck what truck"

If I remember right at least  Three replica Mercedes trucks were built by Charlie Mann using lengthened 6x6 GMC chassis  for the Raiders film,  there was also complete cabs mounted on camera tracking rigs to film the fight scenes in the cab...the late Tony Oliver, who supplied all the other vehicles in the film, owned one of the trucks for some years after the film, I drove it several times on other productions, He sold it and it ended up in the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland Florida,

Edited by Nick Johns
  • Up 1

I have a Raiders of the Lost Ark Leather Jacket! 😁 Designed and made by Peter Boteright of Wested Leather Swanley Kent. He designed the jackets for the three films, and sells reproductions. Ideal adition to your MV. Seriuosly there is half a cow skin in them. Nice and toasty to wear.   https://www.wested.com/

Edited by Tony B

Hi Tony B, thanks for your post. I too have a jacket by Wested and can't recomend them enough! Looks just like the movie jacket, well made and in  GB by the makers of the film version. Good value too I think. I believe the main man there Peter has passed away, he was a real ruff diamond, great guy. But Wested is a friendly place and do a lot of other jackets, Memphis Belle is a good one and James Bond!

I'm still going to rattle on about the Raiders film truck if anyone else has any info, that would be great. It lived in the UK through the 80s, and just into the 90s, so I'm hoping someone might have seen it at a show or maybe have a pic of it somewhere?  the truck was on display at Lamanva in the Late 80s.  the colour had changed from grey to desert camo. Has it rang a bell with anyone....... 🤞

Higginsboat, you refer to a single Raiders truck, as I said in my previous post , there were Three identical replica Merc trucks built for the film,  the link below are pics of  Charlie Manns  Lamanva museum with  pics of the Three Raiders trucks, pics 10, 13, & 23  I knew of one of the trucks that Tony Oliver owned in 1984/5 but no idea what became of the other two

http://miliblog.co.uk/?cat=304

Just found this online, Pic of the other Two  Raiders trucks outside the museum or may have been at the auction sale when everything was sold

Lamanva Military Vehicle Museum, Cornwall, September 1990

Edited by Nick Johns

Hello from Cornwall

Eugene replied to Eugene's topic in Introductions & Welcomes

...The German trucks (there was a couple) from "Raiders" were actually modified "airborne" GMCs (shame!) the Shermans were made out of wood and fibre-glass mounted on (possibly "lightweight") Land-Rovers, these and the replica Horsa were made for "A Bridge Too Far". The latter is now at Preston Isaac...
  •  October 31, 2007
  •  Is Eugene still around, Tony B I think you have spoken to him a few times, any idea?