Austin Champ

MatchFuzee

• 4 weeks later...

This is advertised close to me and I have been thinking about going for a look 

I know next to nothing about champs so would be interested on your views as to why it did not sell, is it purely because of the condition or can you see something blindingly obvious that I cannot ?  Gareth.

Champs are mechanically very complex, not easy  to work on and fairly high maintenance too, , the one for sale will need more than a little recommisioning its probably a good basis for  restoration, it was way overvalued hence no sale, they are not particularly rare,  best to buy one thats already sorted and someone else has spent lots of money on

Edited by Nick Johns

Its probably worth -£5000, ie thats what the owner should pay you to take it away.......if you really wanted to restore it and not lose money at resale.  Its a money pit, but then if you WANT to restore it for the satisfaction, who cares?  Whats it worth as a donor truck?  Probably a good place to start (unless it has a rot free body.....that would be unusual).

In my youth I had a Champ for a very short period , unfortunately I could not afford the petrol as my only road going vehicle.   I have always appreciated that the WD were trying to give the best quality vehicle as as Jeep replacement.  The cruciform chassis and body design - superb,  gearbox & questions in H of P  - all arguable.   Obviously past / present owners opinions will differ.   The sound on bar-grips is truly unforgetable ,  I love the finalized body design but would not wish a tail-gate version or the  'value engineered'  civvy version.

All I can say is I was offered a Champ that had to be sold (I was viewing a property in 1986) . Dry barn stored , low mileage genuine , mint rexine upholstery, duck-boards hardly worn  -  £2000 asking but it would have robbed me of a needed £2000 cash input to next property.

Abt.  1998 I became aware of one  VGC  (not quite as good) stored under dust in a contractors garage,  I believe it will still be there unmoved.  I would love to get into negotiations  £   -  but I have no idea of the ball-park.

I would like another jeep but prices are way beyond me now, I would really like a C15A but non seem to be available at the moment, this vehicle is close to me and I like spannering and welding but cannot find a base price for a restoration project,

would £1000 be reasonable offering?