Ferret bevel boxes - AGAIN???

MiketheBike

Question

How do you guys fill your bevel boxes?

Looking in the filler/level plug hole, the shaft running to the tracta joint is really close to the hole? When I try to fill/top up I get a lot of blow back and was wonedring if the oil was actually getting down into the bevel box, and am never 100% sure if I have reached the correct level. Is it a case of just taking my time? Should I heat the oil up to make it flow better?

I am using a bit of 10mm copper pipe on the end of my oil syringe as the hose on that is a tight fit in the hole and causes even more blow-back.

Mick

7 answers to this question

Mick,

I fill them with a squirty oil can, much easier than an oil syringe but your tumb will get tired!

Chris

Mick

that's how I do mine as well - I have never got on with the official oil syringe as its just too powerful.

Did have some great success with a 50ml medical syringe for a time but the oil rots the rubber end so it died and I wasn't working there anymore to get a replacement :whistle:

Thanks John,

Did have some great success with a 50ml medical syringe for a time but the oil rots the rubbe

yes, when I re-assembled the bevel box I used normal clear silicon to seal the plate...mistake! Its turned to snot, so will have to take apart and use Universal blue....you would think I would know better after my fuel pump and filler shenannigans!!

When you guys do the bevel boxes the manual says the vehicle in level position the suspension units should be in a relaxed sate.......This to me means to jack up the Ferret and let the 4 housings hang loosely not touching the ground,,,Is this what you do or do you just leave tires on ground and not let the suspension system hang freely.

USER HANDBOOKpg.128 para 10................

if on level ground then by definition the suspension should be relaxed. It would not be relaxed if, for example, there was a rock under a tyre so that wheel was raised (ie its suspension was under compression) or if the ground was uneven so one wheel station was under tension (ie pressing down to force the tyre to contact the bottom of the dip in the ground)

you do not jack up a vehicle to fill, you do it with all 4 wheels on the ground