Lanchester Armoured Car

crets

1 hour ago, Bob Grundy said:

Wonderful ! A few years ago I was going to make one of these but it would have been grey with large letters RNAS on the sides. Where is it based ?

It's based In Belgium, but in November we go with the Lanchester to the lancaster insurance classic motor show in Birmingham.

2 hours ago, crets said:

It's based In Belgium, but in November we go with the Lanchester to the lancaster insurance classic motor show in Birmingham.

2 hours ago, crets said:

I will be there, with my tape measure...... BTW where is in Belgium? Any connection with the tank museum at Brussels?

3 hours ago, Bob Grundy said:

I will be there, with my tape measure...... BTW where is in Belgium? Any connection with the tank museum at Brussels?

No connection with the Tank Museum, but we live near Brussels.

4 minutes ago, george said:

Do you have some interior shots, I would like to detail a model of one I have.

I think they were pretty basic, but if you can help, I would appreciate it.

Email (georgemoore66) followed by (@hotmail.co.uk)

Thanks.

They were indeed very basic, here two original photos.

Knipsel.JPG

Knipsel2.JPG

23 hours ago, george said:

Thanks.....very basic indeed.

I assume the "gunner" turned the turret by his body, but are there any ammunition boxes or grips on the turret ring so he can "walk it" around ?

George

Normally there was at the right of the machinegun one holder for a ammunition box. it is not clear where other ammo boxes where stored. The turret is indeed turned by the body of the gunner. 

Underneath you will see some photos we made of the interior of the Rolls Royce armored car in Bovington. This vehicle was made in the early twenties but by the same company who made the armor plating of the Lanchester. 

IMG_20160525_160338.jpg

IMG_20160525_161241.jpg

IMG_20160525_161246.jpg

Edited by crets

Hello,

First let me say, wonderful replica!

The photos of Bovington's 1920 Pattern Rolls-Royce interior are great, but the hardware varied a bit from that of the 1914 Pattern Rolls-Royce, which also varied somewhat from the Lanchester.  Here is a circa 1915 photo of the interior of a Lanchester.

369100288_1915FranceRNAS5Sqdn-RAFHaywardCollection068.thumb.jpg.f411e5a8ac2e04dd8fc627eecebfb767.jpg

The RAF Museum's "Hayward Collection" on Flickr is worth a visit.  Here is a link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/royalairforcemuseum/albums/72157629782125096

Sincerely,

Mark

20 hours ago, MarkV said:

Hello,

First let me say, wonderful replica!

The photos of Bovington's 1920 Pattern Rolls-Royce interior are great, but the hardware varied a bit from that of the 1914 Pattern Rolls-Royce, which also varied somewhat from the Lanchester.  Here is a circa 1915 photo of the interior of a Lanchester.

369100288_1915FranceRNAS5Sqdn-RAFHaywardCollection068.thumb.jpg.f411e5a8ac2e04dd8fc627eecebfb767.jpg

The RAF Museum's "Hayward Collection" on Flickr is worth a visit.  Here is a link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/royalairforcemuseum/albums/72157629782125096

Sincerely,

Mark

This is a nice photo, thx Mark!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob,

I was at the Telford model show at the weekend, so missed it.

The Telford show and the Classic Car show always coincide...and I always go to the Model show with my eldest son.

We both make models and are petrol heads as well....so have to compromise......

Pity the guys were not there though, would love to have some inside detail.

There is another example possibly original, at the Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovil..!!

George.