Electrical question re our Bofors 40mm

We've been looking at the electrical wiring that is on our Bofors 40mm AA gun. A lot of it is for lighting; this is run off a 6v battery and the wiring and connectors are all (naturally) low current. We can trace the wiring runs pretty well.

However..... there are some items we are not sure about. There are a couple of heavy-duty pin sockets just to the left of the ejection chute; one has a lead that goes into the centre of the revolve drum, and another lead that goes to a pretty chunky brass brass socket that is positioned just left of the ejection chute. All this is totally separate from the lighting wiring, and we have no idea what it is all for. It looks like you would plug a power supply into one part of this, and some device that needs power into the other; we have no idea why one lead goes into the revolve drum, as it is inacessible and has not electrical brushes on it. The gun is all manual.... no electric motors anywhere. I'll post some photos below. Any ideas anyone.... ?

Incidentally, from info in the Terry Gander book we now believe that 'our' gun was made in Poland in about 1942 (but to the 1938 design) and was shipped to Portugal.

Pic1.jpg.e4f6aa61c8ae0a156647bc6f1f83b674.jpgpic2.jpg.4b5ddb8afa5fb96aaa6a12dfe9f55aab.jpgPic3.jpg.42d38294ffdc4b6616d2392e898c4313.jpgPic4.jpg.f1e9b3183af17f5d3bc59ccbefa34f75.jpgPic5.jpg.8241b1915946277a311a703ec19cab63.jpg

17 hours ago, fv1609 said:

There may be some coverage in EMER RADAR & FCE  K 460-469 Control Gear for Equipment 40/70 AA L3.

Thought  there might be  something there but nothing, so I need to dig out EMER ARMAMENT B 520-529  40/70 AA Equipment Ordnance, QF, 40/70 Mks 1 & 2 on Mounting & 40/70 AA, Mks 1 & 2.

On 10/17/2018 at 7:04 PM, Tony B said:

Don't know if you have seen this. Those connections could be for central predictors.

Thanks, I found tht a while back.  Unfortunately, it doesnt show those connectors.  I think our model of gun pre-dates the use of external predictors (such as the Kerrison, Sperry, or Vickers predictors).  It has a predictor (or more accuratly, a corrector) mounted near the azimuth operator.

Edited by rsuggitt

20 hours ago, fv1609 said:

Thought  there might be  something there but nothing, so I need to dig out EMER ARMAMENT B 520-529  40/70 AA Equipment Ordnance, QF, 40/70 Mks 1 & 2 on Mounting & 40/70 AA, Mks 1 & 2.

Many thanks for that...   I've not encountered that document/manual before.  Might it also cover the operation of the 'Bofors Speed and Course Sight ' or 'Bofors Corrector Sight' ?

7 hours ago, rsuggitt said:

Might it also cover the operation of the 'Bofors Speed and Course Sight ' or 'Bofors Corrector Sight' ?

I don't have a lot of EMER INSTRUMENTS but looking in the Index A 000 the only Bofos reference is B 540-549 Carrier, dial sight (Bofors) M 109.

I'm not into  armaments so have no idea if that is relevant, I do actually have the Technical Handbook that appeared in the earlier series EMER INSTRUMENTS & SEARCHLIGHTS B 540- 544. Could do a page or two  from that if you think it would help. If that is not relevant, is the instrument given any other designation that might be used in other guns?

15 hours ago, fv1609 said:

I don't have a lot of EMER INSTRUMENTS but looking in the Index A 000 the only Bofos reference is B 540-549 Carrier, dial sight (Bofors) M 109.

I'm not into  armaments so have no idea if that is relevant, I do actually have the Technical Handbook that appeared in the earlier series EMER INSTRUMENTS & SEARCHLIGHTS B 540- 544. Could do a page or two  from that if you think it would help. If that is not relevant, is the instrument given any other designation that might be used in other guns?

Many thanks, a page or two woul help confirm we're looking in the right place.  I dont think that the sight system was used in any other guns though.

44 minutes ago, fv1609 said:

Don't know if any of this is relevant, can't find anything that ties in exactly with your sockets. Electrical services were not just fire control but intercom, loudspeakers, heater for hydraulic oil etc

Dsc01765.jpg

Dsc01764.jpg

Dsc01763.jpg

Dsc01761.jpg

Dsc01760.jpg

Many thanks for those scans !   As it happens I'm just about to go off on vacation, I'll take a close look once I'm back.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This one is set up for the No.3 Kerrison Predicter, with electric hydromotors for traverse and elevation.  Very original.  I have the Predictor and the hydromotors, but yet to fit them to a gun.  There is a lot of wiring and electrical stuff out of sight in these mountings, so it is not a simple restoration. There is also a diesel generator that comes with it, and the motors inside are marked 50 Volts, 50Hz 3 Phase.

The Kerrison was literally a barn find in its original crate, but the previous owner had repurposed the aluminium gables and the telescope mounts / linkages.  So I'm still looking for those bits...D.

P2250338.JPG

P3020352.JPG

P2250332.JPG

P2250343.JPG

P2250330.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, watercart said:

This one is set up for the No.3 Kerrison Predicter, with electric hydromotors for traverse and elevation.

P3020352.JPG

Not sure what you mean by "hydrometers", they look very familiar to me & I knew them as Selsyns. I had a pair allegedly removed from an AA gun. I used them for turning my amateur radio mast. They are a sort of AC motor with  stellate windings linked together as a pair & both energised by about 230v AC.

Once energised turning one Selsyn transferred the message to it's partner & vice-versa. It was very strange because if the wind blew the aerial round there was an identical movement on the indoor one. If I turned the control one I could feel the identical torque as if I was turning the mast by hand. If the AC supply was cut both units became flaccid & would spin freely. Quite fun devices to use.

Clive, I recall that they are called "hydromotors" in the main gun manual.  These systems are usually a constant speed AC motor driving a hydraulic system (back to back pump and motor) using a swashplate arrangement (I think). It allows an infinitely variable speed output to the elevation and traverse drivetrains.

I would love to get hold of the British printed Illustrated Parts List for the predictor, as it would confirm (or not) the above theory and tell me what I am missing.  I do not think what I am missing out of the predictor would be hard to make, if only I knew what was missing.  D. 

• 5 months later...
On 2/19/2020 at 11:41 AM, fv1609 said:

Not sure what you mean by "hydrometers", they look very familiar to me & I knew them as Selsyns. I had a pair allegedly removed from an AA gun. I used them for turning my amateur radio mast. They are a sort of AC motor with  stellate windings linked together as a pair & both energised by about 230v AC.

Once energised turning one Selsyn transferred the message to it's partner & vice-versa. It was very strange because if the wind blew the aerial round there was an identical movement on the indoor one. If I turned the control one I could feel the identical torque as if I was turning the mast by hand. If the AC supply was cut both units became flaccid & would spin freely. Quite fun devices to use.

Hi,

I'm french collector and I search 2 "hydromotors" because I have bofors without motors. Could you sell me 2 hydromotors (right and left) ?

Thanks

• 1 year later...