breakdown cover

vulcan

Question

24 answers to this question

Hi,

welcome to the forum, maybe you could post an introdution here...

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=38&board=19.0

is it possible to get breakdown cover for say a pig or a ferret thanks

Yep, Roadsure....

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=38&topic=1557.msg11627#msg11627

I have my Ferret covered by the AA, they approached me in a carpark and asked if I wanted to join.

To be honest, I now carry most bits that should at least get me home...the AA would be a last resort, or at the very least an extra pair of hands if I need them :-D

If you come in under 4 ton they will cover you.

Mick

I have my Ferret covered by the AA, they approached me in a carpark and asked if I wanted to join.

To be honest, I now carry most bits that should at least get me home...the AA would be a last resort, or at the very least an extra pair of hands if I need them :-D

If you come in under 4 ton they will cover you.

Mick

Mick,

if you check you'll find they have a weight limit of 3.5tons no matter what the salesman said :whistle:

Yes, Roadsure, £54 for up to 3.5 tons, don't know for over but they do have it.

That's up to 7.5tons Wheeled Tony :-D

All vehicles below 7.5 Tons

• Non-Tracked vehicles only

• Annual Price £54.00

• Roadside Assistance

• Recovery For Breakdown

• Recovery For Accident, Theft or Vandalism

• Recovery anywhere in UK

• Assistance at Address

• Hotel Accommodation

• Message Handling Service

• Relief Driver

• Technical, Routes & Motoring advice

• Key Recovery

• Includes European Cover

• Roadside Assistance Throughout Europe

• Spare Parts Location and Dispatch

• Emergency Hotel Accommodation (Max £30 per person per night.)

• Replacement Vehicle for upto 14 days

• Vehicle repatriation (Up to £2,500)

• Vehicle Important Duty (Unlimited)

Lee,

I think you are right (in fact you most liley are), I remember having the chat with him, and I said it was 3.5ton, there or thereabouts (as it does not have the turret etc). The plus side is that it covers my normal car also, I guess, but Roadsure is dead cheap though...I did not realise they were that cheap....maybe next year!

Mick

Lee,

I think you are right (in fact you most liley are), I remember having the chat with him, and I said it was 3.5ton, there or thereabouts (as it does not have the turret etc).

Mick

Re the AA and vehicle recovery (as opposed to roadside assistance) the Landrover 101 owners have a great deal of experience over this issue because legally speaking the normal crew cab AA recovery trucks are only allowed to carry a vehicle with a plated weight of 3.5 tonnes or under. If they carry a vehicle over that weight they have an illegal load and are therefore uninsured etc.

As the manufacturers’ data plate on a 101 gives the gross (ie laden) weight as 3654Kg experience of actual recovery situations has shown that most AA patrols will no longer recover a vehicle over 3.5 tonnes - as is clearly stated in their terms and conditions for normal membership.

I too was approached by a patrolman on a sales pitch at Brooklands this year who said it would be possible under a category of membership called "affinity". He took my details and promised to get the "office" to send an application - however nothing ever came and the other patrolmen there that day were divided over whether that category still exists. All were however unanimous about the 3.5 tonnes weight limit.

I have received roadside assistance once before without problem from the AA but I think all this confirms is the experience of the 101 owners that an individual patrolman will help if it is within his discretion to do so and he feels like playing with something a bit different to the usual clapped out old car.

Note also that the weight limit is metric tonnes so the Ferret at a nominal 3.5T imperial is absolutely over weight.

Extract from AA website terms and conditions:

Vehicle specifications

Breakdown assistance is only available for cars, vans, minibuses or motorcycles which meet the specifications set out below.

Please note that 'car, van, minibus or motorcycle' does not include, amongst other things, electric pavement vehicles, electrical wheelchairs, any vehicle which cannot lawfully be used on the public highway and/or any non-motorised vehicle.

Maximum Vehicle Weight: 3.5 tonnes (3,500kg) gross vehicle weight

Maximum Vehicle Width: 7ft 6in (2.3m)

In conclusion

- yes you will always get someone to attend at the roadside but it may be pot luck if they stay and work on the vehicle

- where a recovery truck turns up it is more likely to drive off again immediately nowadays and if you succeed in convincing him of your “weight” you will have endangered their lorry and may be liable in an accident since he is then uninsured …. The choice is yours ……

Called Roadsure only to find they have been taken over and the person I spoke to denied all knowledge of the breakdown recovery scheme. However I persisted and she eventually 'spoke to a manager' and then told me that the scheme was only open to people already insured with the company. The impression I got was that it is something they are not interested in and would probably like to close it down.

Apart from the Fact I wouldn't trust the AA to find me, let alone recover. I use the Green Flag have for donkeys years they are much more helpful, AA didn't want to know with the Dodge being 64 years old. Green flag were deligthed, could we use a couple of pictures? Touch wood most I've needed up to now on her is a jump start, made the guy's day 'Cor, something you can work on not a pice of modern C***'. Full personal cover, any vehicle anywhere all services £120 a year. If you work out towing is about £5 a mile, very good value.

Called Roadsure only to find they have been taken over and the person I spoke to denied all knowledge of the breakdown recovery scheme. However I persisted and she eventually 'spoke to a manager' and then told me that the scheme was only open to people already insured with the company. The impression I got was that it is something they are not interested in and would probably like to close it down.

Strange but not too surpising since being taken over the new company's idea of customer service is very sloppy.

I took out insurance cover with Roadsure in October 2007 so am an existing customer. However I had absolutely no problems when I took out the recovery service 10 days ago.

- they know its for a Fox in the under 7.5 tonnes category and the letter confirming my policy details arrived 2 days ago.

Given I'm off on the HMVF Salisbury Plain tour next week I'll let you know how good the service actually is when I get recovered home from it, it is a Fox after all so won't last the course

Anybody had any experience of having a Sankey trailer [with NATO towing "eye"] recovered in addition to the prime mover, in this case a Land Rover 101 Vampire? Green Flag eventually recovered me using two transporters, but Green Flag small print states they will only recover trailers with a 50mm ball.

Cheers

Peter

I've always been led to believe my MW WOULD be recoverable, on the standard AA relay scheme;

Anyone any experience of using said service on 15cwt trucks ??

Andy

Greenflag love my Dodge, they have no problem with her and have used photos in advertising. Cheaper than AA, better than AA, they actually KNOW where the M25 is. No ***** about waiting for an engineer to tell you 'Oh, we can't ficx that by the side of the road, I KNOW you B**RKE!! IF it could be fixed by the road I'D have done it! Followed by another four hours wait for a recovery truck. Personal cover that covers me in any vehicle up to 3.5 tons, at home as well, no restrictions on age of vehicle. some years ago I had a *** of a Land Rover, I got to know all the Greenflag contract guys personally. I had a car crash into me on the road, badly damaged the Landy, wrote the Jap bin tin off, pity it did do the same to the nerd that was driving it. Anyway a mate of mine was in the contractors office when the call went in for recovery. he told me he knew of the acident because as soon as the index number of the Landy was put over the radio all the guys were calling in asking if I was alright. Green flag also go the extra mile, we had a heavy vehicle breack down in very embarrasing circumstances, It was a borrowed truck at 02:00, and the situation was potentially lethal (I kid not) Greenflag operators actually went out of thier way to get us a heavy vehicle mechanic out, who fixed the truck with a twig out of the hedge. Can't praise them enough.

AA have always been there for me with small vehicle breakdowns. This was some years ago outside Oxford at 0700 on my way to Bletchley Park. The Rover had suffered a fractured diesel injector pipe.

How about this for attention, within 10 minutes there were three vans!

AAmen.jpg

I cancelled my Roadsure vehicle policy last week (changed as I had to add an extra vehicle and there was only 1 week to run on) - I was told on the phone that I could keep my recovery policy (only got one vehicle on this at present) and that it was open to vehicles not insured with them.

Perhaps some clarification is required - we seem to have 2 conflicting verbal statements here! Someone else phone up and we'll go for best of 3 :-D

Perhaps some clarification is required - we seem to have 2 conflicting verbal statements here! Someone else phone up and we'll go for best of 3 :-D

I did a few weeks ago. I wondered why I had not had a reminder that my cover was about to expire. I was told that as I had cancelled it there was nothing to remind me about. I was told I cancelled my cover on the same day that I took it out & I had not actually been covered during the last year.

I was hopping mad as they took the payment from my card & I had paid for no cover for the last year. I was also told it was vehicle specific & I had to have a policy for each vehicle.

Later on in the day I was able to talk to someone more experienced. He said that when I renewed someone pressed my payment button twice. As they cannot delete entries they got around it by "refunding" me as an internal way of correcting the error. The previous person had seen "refund" & assume that I had cancelled.

I was assured I had actually been covered & my renewal would cover the vehicle I was driving & it was not vehicle specific cover.

There seems to be a poor understanding about MVs in the front line people. A few weeks later my renewal came for the Wolf. This could not go on with the other MVs as I used it as everyday transport to work. I just checked that all the details were correct & that it was a full spec unmodified ex MOD Defender. I then met with the problem that it had been "modified".

I was told that as it had been modified from standard by the Army, that modified vehicles were not covered. I explained it had been manufactured like that. She asked how did it differ, I mentioned that it had a fibre glass roof. Then fearing that made me a greater risk I added that roll bars were fitted. Ah so its been modified with roll bars for off roading. No! I explained. Ah but in the event of an accident that could cause more damage to the other car. I explained it was simply to prevent the driver being crushed if it rolled over. Therefore less injury claims would result.

I was fuming & exasperated. So I went off & the keyboard started smouldering as this frustration was about to turn into a very nasty post on several forums.

Half an hour later a conciliatory & pleasant man rung & wanted to sort the problem. He said as I had now retired, the high mileage & going to work was not an issue & it would be perfectly alright to incorporate it into the MV policies with the other vehicles. The renewal premium for the Wolf at an agreed value of £12k dropped from £280 to £180. He was very pleasant & constructive and rescued the situation as I was going to go elsewhere when they renewals for the other vehicles came up.

It is a shame the front line staff don't have a better understanding of the business & should not bluff their way along eg the MOD modified it etc. So I will stick with them.

dsure for me this year were a total waste of rations!! Renewal came through - KGM declined to quote and another firm, Chaucer, wanted £400 for the Stalwart and the landrover and woudn't touch tracked armour.

Rang them up to query this - the girl the other end of the phone didn't seem to give a damn!! Told me KGM wuldn't quote because there was still a claim in progress (they settled it months ago) and the £400 from Chaucer was the best they could offer. Basically it was a "take it or leave it response. And I was told the break down cover was only available to customers who had their vehicles insured with them

Like Clive it left me fuming - if not worse. However - unlike Clive no nice gentleman called back to rectify the issue.

So I rang around including Footman James - they quoted £240 (which is about what I was expecting as these policies are based on vehicle value and the OT is valued at over £26K) afor all three vehicles so I took it up there and then.

Unless Roadsure have a VERY marked change in their attitude towards customers I'll never go back there again. I have a marked dislike of being treated like dirt - and it''s sad because the people who dealt with the accident were very good!!

It wasn't just me then, I found them to be downright rude and would certainly never consider dealing with them again. I was looking for breakdown cover as I was going to RTV solo but risked it without cover and was fortunate in finding a good samaritan when the exhaust decided to part company with the manifold. Breakdown cover wouldn't have been much use for me anyway as what I needed was a welder not recovery.:)