MatchFuzee

Interesting Vehicles at Chiffins

1948 4063cc Buick Special ex military armour plated saloon:- Not sold

Circa 1940 Clark Clarktor 6 US Military Tug:- Winning Bid £3,000.

British heavy bomb trailer c/w 2 dummy bombs:- Not sold.

1939 Scammell Pioneer Heavy Recovery Vehicle:- Winning Bid £7,000

1940 AEC Matador Recovery Vehicle:- Winning Bid £9,200

Strange how the Pioneer owner told Cheffins that it could not possibly be an R100 as they could only manage 18mph, the R100 was based on the same chassis and running gear as the recoveries and was capable of circa 28mph.

The TRMU20/30 tank transporter tractors had a heavier rear axle that limited the speed to 18mph, the gearing was so low that when Sunters were triple heading the Bradwell boilers up a steep slope their Pioneer started in second gear while the Constructor and Rotinoff tractors used first.

40 minutes ago, radiomike7 said:

Strange how the Pioneer owner told Cheffins that it could not possibly be an R100 as they could only manage 18mph, the R100 was based on the same chassis and running gear as the recoveries and was capable of circa 28mph.

The TRMU20/30 tank transporter tractors had a heavier rear axle that limited the speed to 18mph, the gearing was so low that when Sunters were triple heading the Bradwell boilers up a steep slope their Pioneer started in second gear while the Constructor and Rotinoff tractors used first.

He may have driven a R100 with the wrong axle fitted. It could be it had a tank transporter axle fitted as the REME Museum had a Pioneer recovery which only did about 18 mph, think it was "Swampy", which came back from Belize for restoration. Quite possible that it was the only axle available when they changed it at some point in its earlier life.

3 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

He may have driven a R100 with the wrong axle fitted. It could be it had a tank transporter axle fitted as the REME Museum had a Pioneer recovery which only did about 18 mph, think it was "Swampy", which came back from Belize for restoration. Quite possible that it was the only axle available when they changed it at some point in its earlier life.

Hi Richard,

Anything is possible but I would be surprised if a Pioneer recovery had been fitted with a TRMU rear axle as the entire final drive with rocking beams is different and has a Bowden cable arrangement for the brake actuator.  Even if a recovery/R100 axle was not available it would have been far easier to use an Explorer version which is almost identical.

Swampy is now at Lyneham as you probably know and fitted with the correct final drive unit for R100/recovery.

Image result for swampy lyneham

4 hours ago, radiomike7 said:

Image result for bradwell boilers sunters

37 minutes ago, radiomike7 said:

Hi Richard,

Anything is possible but I would be surprised if a Pioneer recovery had been fitted with a TRMU rear axle as the entire final drive with rocking beams is different and has a Bowden cable arrangement for the brake actuator.  Even if a recovery/R100 axle was not available it would have been far easier to use an Explorer version which is almost identical.

Swampy is now at Lyneham as you probably know and fitted with the correct final drive unit for R100/recovery.

Hi Mike,

I am only going on what Roger Jones told me when he drove Swampy after its restoration in Aldershot workshops, that it did not go more than about 18mph. Is it possible it was only the differential that had been changed (not the whole bogie assembly)? Only remember what they said at the time.

1 hour ago, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Mike,

I am only going on what Roger Jones told me when he drove Swampy after its restoration in Aldershot workshops, that it did not go more than about 18mph. Is it possible it was only the differential that had been changed (not the whole bogie assembly)? Only remember what they said at the time.

Now that's a possibility but I have never seen the two differentials side by side to confirm they are interchangeable.