Interesting Vehicles at Chiffins

MatchFuzee

• 2 weeks later...

1948 4063cc Buick Special ex military armour plated saloon:- Not sold

Circa 1940 Clark Clarktor 6 US Military Tug:- Winning Bid £3,000.

British heavy bomb trailer c/w 2 dummy bombs:- Not sold.

1939 Scammell Pioneer Heavy Recovery Vehicle:- Winning Bid £7,000

1940 AEC Matador Recovery Vehicle:- Winning Bid £9,200

Strange how the Pioneer owner told Cheffins that it could not possibly be an R100 as they could only manage 18mph, the R100 was based on the same chassis and running gear as the recoveries and was capable of circa 28mph.

The TRMU20/30 tank transporter tractors had a heavier rear axle that limited the speed to 18mph, the gearing was so low that when Sunters were triple heading the Bradwell boilers up a steep slope their Pioneer started in second gear while the Constructor and Rotinoff tractors used first.

40 minutes ago, radiomike7 said:

Strange how the Pioneer owner told Cheffins that it could not possibly be an R100 as they could only manage 18mph, the R100 was based on the same chassis and running gear as the recoveries and was capable of circa 28mph.

The TRMU20/30 tank transporter tractors had a heavier rear axle that limited the speed to 18mph, the gearing was so low that when Sunters were triple heading the Bradwell boilers up a steep slope their Pioneer started in second gear while the Constructor and Rotinoff tractors used first.

He may have driven a R100 with the wrong axle fitted. It could be it had a tank transporter axle fitted as the REME Museum had a Pioneer recovery which only did about 18 mph, think it was "Swampy", which came back from Belize for restoration. Quite possible that it was the only axle available when they changed it at some point in its earlier life.

3 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

He may have driven a R100 with the wrong axle fitted. It could be it had a tank transporter axle fitted as the REME Museum had a Pioneer recovery which only did about 18 mph, think it was "Swampy", which came back from Belize for restoration. Quite possible that it was the only axle available when they changed it at some point in its earlier life.

Hi Richard,

Anything is possible but I would be surprised if a Pioneer recovery had been fitted with a TRMU rear axle as the entire final drive with rocking beams is different and has a Bowden cable arrangement for the brake actuator.  Even if a recovery/R100 axle was not available it would have been far easier to use an Explorer version which is almost identical.

Swampy is now at Lyneham as you probably know and fitted with the correct final drive unit for R100/recovery.

Image result for swampy lyneham

4 hours ago, radiomike7 said:

Image result for bradwell boilers sunters

37 minutes ago, radiomike7 said:

Hi Richard,

Anything is possible but I would be surprised if a Pioneer recovery had been fitted with a TRMU rear axle as the entire final drive with rocking beams is different and has a Bowden cable arrangement for the brake actuator.  Even if a recovery/R100 axle was not available it would have been far easier to use an Explorer version which is almost identical.

Swampy is now at Lyneham as you probably know and fitted with the correct final drive unit for R100/recovery.

Hi Mike,

I am only going on what Roger Jones told me when he drove Swampy after its restoration in Aldershot workshops, that it did not go more than about 18mph. Is it possible it was only the differential that had been changed (not the whole bogie assembly)? Only remember what they said at the time.

1 hour ago, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Mike,

I am only going on what Roger Jones told me when he drove Swampy after its restoration in Aldershot workshops, that it did not go more than about 18mph. Is it possible it was only the differential that had been changed (not the whole bogie assembly)? Only remember what they said at the time.

Now that's a possibility but I have never seen the two differentials side by side to confirm they are interchangeable.

• 3 months later...

Hi,  I'm one of the Drivers for the Cheffins Tractor sale each month in Cambridgeshire.

I'll keep my eye out for Military things. I don't get to drive military stuff, it's another sale, but you sometimes see military vehicles that have been sold or are waiting for the next sale.

For example, Recently I saw some fake WW2 bombs on a jeep trolley waiting in the sold area, and last year there was a bedford 4 tonner, I've seen the odd camo coloured JCB, they often have Landrovers and Unimogs in the sale though not ex army ones.

Might be worth looking through the tractor catalouge you never know what turns up, But from very good experience, after driving huindreds of vehicles... eveyrthing is sold as seen!

lol, I live just outside Wisbech, :( the centre of the universe!  A hot tip if you go to the auctions, go a day or 2 before Friday or Saturday is best, and as long as you wear a HI-Vis top you can borrow keys from the Office for pretty much any vehicle to test it in the Cheffins grounds., The Cheffins permenant staff and mechanics that move the vehicles around are all friendly, 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi I believe there is still an Armoured Landrover that has not sold from previous sales. (PLEASE CHECK FIRST)

In desert colours and has leaf camo attatched in sheets on all sides looks like its post 1st Gulf war kit, the rear is a armoured compartment (kevlar or carbon fibre I think) with roof gunner hatch, it has a few wear signs by doors but not much

The front armoured windows have not sure what the word is, but they look like some of the layers have split or let in water. so the windows seem misted up, (and of course you can't open the windows) but it does have all the belts seats, working air-con etc

All the doors work and have garden style bolts,  no central locking . theres also another large metal gate between the driver and rear seats I don't know if this is to keep people in or out, but its very heavy duty!

I've driven it twice now, feels like a normal landrover but obviously much heavier,  visibility is terrible, and theres a drop down riot sheild that makes it worse, but you'd expect that. I'm not a mechanic so I can't tell you if it's got problems but it seems to drive change gear, brake etc fine with no odd crunchy noises.

There was also a Olive coloured  MoD JCB digger but it was in a horrible condition, the gears were mashed!