Combat dealers is back :(

Whittingham warrior

Unfortunately the only option on TV is 'Combat Dealers' which in the true meaning of the term Hobson's Choice is why I put up with it. What the subject needs is someone with the gravitas of the late Raymond Baxter such as the likes of David Fletcher or David Willy Here proper full length TV programmes could be made as opposed to the 5 minute internet ones they present at the moment. No longer would we be subjected to a presenter starring into the camera with the expression of a man desperately trying to hold on to an obstreperous stool.

Tonight I have a choice of Combat Dealers or Dan Cruickshank's Monuments of Remembrance on BBC4...

If I was a gambling man I would watch horse racing I wouldn't watch Muffin the Mule prancing around on the screen and the same should be true with our hobby.

Edited by Whittingham warrior

On 11/14/2018 at 4:14 AM, AmmoMan said:

The gun barrel holding up the barn roof was pretty cool.

I liked that one too, really a shame to remove it and put it on a vehicle IMHO.  The whole thing, rafter, chunk of floor etc. would be really cool in a museum though. You don't see too many swords  pounded back into plowshares

trouble is, militaria will go the same way as the housing market-after years of tv programs showing 'look how I can make wads of cash toshing over this house' leaves us with the average youngster having no chance of a home. Tv exposure on how to make money from military artefacts will do the same-look at the hundreds of you tube videos showing eastern europeans desecrating battle graves for money. Next time you see a holed helmet for sale...........

11 hours ago, terryb said:

trouble is, militaria will go the same way as the housing market-after years of tv programs showing 'look how I can make wads of cash toshing over this house' leaves us with the average youngster having no chance of a home.

yes but i can't blame all of that on TV either. I could have bought muscle cars in the 1980's for  around a thousand dollars that are worth tens of thousands today, even if i had done nothing but park them :(

being at the right place, at the right time, and having the money and foresight is a tough combo to get right.

watched S4-E4 last night, pretty good episode. they visit Samur, go hunting for Pz I parts, and visit the Panther Maybach being rebuilt in the Czech republic.  That was really cool, they found a valve inside that had been sabotaged by slave labor and view a book of the names of the people who had been forced-labor in the factory.

I understand the complaints about the cheesy aspects of the show, i really do, but for me hard to hate the show  when you get all these little genuine gems in between the hogwash

A bit like the much criticized Henry Cole and his series 'Shed and Buried' I watch them all and treat the silly bits and bad acting as pure entertainment. At the very least I get to see places and equipment, and into corners that I'd never see otherwise. Also quite often learn something I didn't know about. Ron