Combat dealers is back :(

Whittingham warrior

Did anyone see 'Combat Dealers' last night on Quest at 9.00pm? It was entitled 'French Resistance' I won't spoil the plot by telling you all what happened. Although as a side line, when any series is launched except say  a drama where the episodes have to be in chronological order, the first programme is often consider the best to entice viewers in and to stay and watch the rest. Last night's Combat Dealers hopefully didn't follow this rule as it was absolutely pitiful piffle, a cross between 'Allo Allo and fun with fire arms. If it was a turkey it would be stuffed by now.     

Edited by Whittingham warrior

Sye wotherloik, but ee probly duz morn anyuvver geezer to bring in the punterz to see arr clobber an genrilly popyoolaroiz arr obbee .  Dunnee?  Gits moi vote evree toim. Innit.  Muss go; jus seen a genyoowine Waffen SS toasting fork...........ow much?!! Eeemussbeavinalarf!

Edited by matchlesswdg3
Spelling
  • Haha 2

A Waffen SS toasting fork! That would be priceless and at least one episode of Combat Dealers could be devoted to it, do you have the bread to go with it?. A sequel would  be 'Thimbles of the Third Reich ' in which one is purchased from a French peasant for just 3 Euro which turns out to be Hitler's...…….

9 hours ago, Whittingham warrior said:

A Waffen SS toasting fork! That would be priceless and at least one episode of Combat Dealers could be devoted to it, do you have the bread to go with it?. A sequel would  be 'Thimbles of the Third Reich ' in which one is purchased from a French peasant for just 3 Euro which turns out to be Hitler's...…….

Was it the One Hitler kept His other Ball in?...…….

• 2 weeks later...

Having an 8 yr old im used to watching tv programs together...as I am sure many of you are...Fireman Sam, Thomas the Tank Engine and Thunderbirds to name a few - but we know they arnt real...make believe...targeted for kids.... but his latest big watch...Combat Dealers....WOW! - Really ?...and this is for adults...with intelligence ?

- tonight's episode " These SAS guys would be travelling at 65 mph in an open topped jeep at night" - really Bruce ? - on Sand...in the dark....in a jeep....65 mph ?...Wow! - and these are the vehicles that carried all that extra kit, and supplies......they were wasted in the desert - they could easily win the Paris -Dakar with that type of performance !

This program should have been a perfect platform for our hobby - a mix of both historical facts and showcasing restorations and collections and members of the Militaria world alike - instead we have scripts that are embarrassing to listen to, facts that are so wrong they are a joke - really not doing our hobby any favours at all......such a pity........ Back to Thomas for us - something a little more believable !

• Like 3

I have watched the last three programs  all l can say is this type of program is for the general public who have very little or no knowledge  of military history and only view it as entertainment .Does it do justice to the hobby and the people that do so much to preserve these things IMHO no not really

I'm rather disgusted that Combat Dealers can be compared to Thomas the Tank Engine.  One programme has high production standards and a believable quality script whilst the other  has a bloke gurning into the camera and would be rejected by children's TV as to childish.

• Like 3

But at the end of the Day, I'm sure simply Bruce doesn't give a Toss!

His Salary from this program put's him in a position of: 'Laughing all the way to the Bank'!...….

Easy to simply make things up, but time spent of genuine Historical research. Is most praiseworthy &

The only Correct way to go! 

We are ALL ambassador's of our hosen hobby. & simply custodians of Historical Artefact's. That when minded to restore them accurately & truthfully. Will in some cases, the only unique reference point/ item that remains on earth. 

But I guess that pounds are all that counts on the table for 'Some' Folks?.....

• Like 1

My humble opinion is Combat dealers should never be confused in any way with the real world; I have tried to watch the program each series but to date never get to see a complete offering I do try.   It’s possibly that many of the deals shown on the show are just for television and in no way representative of the Hobby if you would call it that. If you enjoy it and I’m sure many do then continue to follow the antics portrayed on the screen, its television

Tuesday 16 October thrilling episode; I have had quite few Ferrets but never had a Mk3, I must have been deluded all these years as I thought it was a Mk1/2 that was shown. Bruce mentioned that a friend had blown himself up whilst dismantling a 75mm Anti-tank round, since when did solid shot explode? It really is just big kids playing about.....

1 hour ago, Bob Grundy said:

Tuesday 16 October thrilling episode; I have had quite few Ferrets but never had a Mk3, I must have been deluded all these years as I thought it was a Mk1/2 that was shown. Bruce mentioned that a friend had blown himself up whilst dismantling a 75mm Anti-tank round, since when did solid shot explode? It really is just big kids playing about.....

Bob, as I understand the US 75mm APC-T round had a fuze/tracer element in the base which was designed to produce shrapnel after a short delay when the penetrator had done its job.

Its all good fun.  Colleagues at work watch the show and it seems to come up in conversations in a positive fashion.  If you have any kind of in depth knowledge of an area I'd advise against watching any TV program concerning it or watching a news item on it as its is sure to be a huge let down.

1 hour ago, radiomike7 said:

Bob, as I understand the US 75mm APC-T round had a fuze/tracer element in the base which was designed to produce shrapnel after a short delay when the penetrator had done its job.

I am grateful for this information, I did not know that. However Bruce did not qualify his remarks that it was that type of round.

As ever Combat Dealers was enlightening, informative and entertaining. I once had a Ferret but sadly it needed more than just a clamp for the sand channels and a bit of welding on a hinge to increase it in value by £2,000. Speaking of the sand channel clamp one of the twins said 'Then I lathed a steel disc'' …… Surely  you turn on a lathe. Perhaps the scrip writers thought if you mill on a miller, shape on shaper, drill on a drill therefore it stands to reason where lathes are concerned. Also where is the £20,000 Ferret that was spoken about, did it sell?

Like all these programs, made for the general public, not the knowledgeable enthusiast.  I saw one a few days back, they were searching for a Schwimwagen in Normandy. 

Found it "eventually", in a farmer's barn. A bit of a rusty bodyshell, with what appears to be shrapnel damage. Still got its SS registration plate visible.

Old French farmer wouldn't part with it, even at Euros 60K!

Interesting to see what's still out there.

Treat it as a bit of entertainment, same as the other stuff on the History Channel, where clips of Spitfire MkXIVs are seen, when the Battle of Britain is discussed!

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting that folks who despise the show are now following the 4th season? ;)

I thought the French resistance was  one of the better episodes, especially when they showed the perfectly preserved SS helmet with original camo. They could have fawned on about it's value, but pointed out it was sized for a teenage boy. That the Germans fed their kids into the war machine at the end.

If memory serves , They visit the site of the Maillé massacre. I do agree that the the show is a terrible place to count rivets though

On the evening of August 24, 1944, skirmishes between the French Forces of the Interior (FFI) and German troops took place near a farm in the commune of . Gustave Schlüter, commander of the German control post at Sainte-Maure-de-Touraine, mobilized his men and two train-mounted artillery pieces (Chevereau & Forlivesi, 2005; Delahousse, 2008; Payon, 1945; Lieb, 2007).

The next morning, Maillé was closed off by German forces. One artillery piece was destroyed by the attacking RAF. The first farms were then set on fire and their residents killed. About noon, the SS entered the village and the systematic killing began. Some wounded who had pretended to be dead were later shot down when they attempted to escape (Chevereau & Forlivesi, 2005; Delahousse, 2008; Payon, 1945).

About 1:00 pm the artillery bombardment began, demolishing the village and any who might have survived the initial onslaught. The soldiers were also there to ensure that survivors were shot on sight. By late afternoon calm returned, and the few survivors could only look upon the spectacle with sadness. The intervention of abbot André Payon was needed so that they could leave to take shelter in neighboring villages.

In less than four hours, entire families were slaughtered by the Waffen SS, many of whose soldiers were only 16 and 17 years old (Chevereau & Forlivesi, 2005; Delahousse, 2008; Payon, 1945).