Surveyor

British Army Stoves

Curiousity, I have a No. 2, No.3 and a No.12 stove I have seen a picture of a No.5 stove.

My question is how many types using the designation"Number" and what do they look like. 

I believe one may be a Sankey trailer

Thanks in anticipation

Richard

No 1 was generally known as a No 1 burner as it consisted of a burner unit which sent a jet of flame out.  You needed several metal stands which were generally dug into a trench in a line.  The flame jet went along the trench through the stands.  Dixies stood on top of these.  Lethal bit of kit, but served the army for a very long time!

image.png.316336667531830a393f58456dc60838.png

Chris

Chris

Looks as though that something could go wrong very easily

Thanks

Richard

As long as the cook knows what he is doing no problem.

However on an exercise in Cyprus back in 81 one of our cooks decided the burner needed refueling.

So he took off the filler cap while it was still lit and under pressure. BIG MISTAKE.severe burns all over.

Luckily we were on the beach at Akamas and just picked him up and threw him in the sea.

Helicopter Casevac to Akrotiri or nearest Hospital.

When he eventually returned to unit many months later, the chief cook sent him on a training course for field cookery.

Appointing him as the unit field cookery instructor. You know the hazards already.

One other tip when using these burners, do not set them up in a roadside layby using a gravel chipping heap to bury the stand in.

Hard hats and body armour may be needed.

Edited by ploughman

The First Aid film, shown during my Basic Training was based on one of these exploding. Don't mind the No2 but have kept my distance from these.

@surveyor

Agreed!  I was once, on attachment to a battalion other than my own, standing next to a No 1 burner in action.  The colour sergeant had, in a somewhat foolhardy manner, stacked jerricans containing fuel next to the trench.  The company were queuing for their midday meal.  The burner caught fire, and suddenly I realised I was the only one left in the queue.  All the others had legged it!  Fortunately the fire was put out and normal service was resumed!

Chris

On 9/28/2018 at 6:32 PM, ploughman said:

As long as the cook knows what he is doing no problem.

However on an exercise in Cyprus back in 81 one of our cooks decided the burner needed refueling.

So he took off the filler cap while it was still lit and under pressure. BIG MISTAKE.severe burns all over.

Luckily we were on the beach at Akamas and just picked him up and threw him in the sea.

Helicopter Casevac to Akrotiri or nearest Hospital.

When he eventually returned to unit many months later, the chief cook sent him on a training course for field cookery.

Appointing him as the unit field cookery instructor. You know the hazards already.

One other tip when using these burners, do not set them up in a roadside layby using a gravel chipping heap to bury the stand in.

Hard hats and body armour may be needed.

There but for the grace of who ever was watching over you

But, considering their length of service and the number of meals cooked on them, they were pretty reliable.  And, in the hands of a good cook , the No1 burner was superb.  The heat reaching each pan depended on its distance from the burner - so, if the cook knew what he was doing, then the one at the far end of the trench would be simmering while the one at the near end would be frying or boiling and he'd move them around according to what heat each one required. 

After a damp, cold night, interrupted by a 2-hour guard duty, there can be little else better than the sound and smell of a No1 burner preparing fried eggs, fried bread, sausages, beans... and steaming hot sweet tea!  No2 burners were good, but, of course, they meant doing the job yourself!  Talking of cooking, it's surprising that you never seem to see hayboxes coming up on eBay - plenty of Norwegian flasks, but no hayboxes.  So can't replicate range days with fish or pie and chips from a haybox...  and NAAFI bread wrapped with paper printed with the day of the week!

10 68

An ex-BQMS cooks for us at W&P, often up to 30 plus and uses a Hydra burner. I made up ww2 type pot supports for him, he also uses a ww2 oven and his roast beef is superb. Two of us took our seconds to the IMPS meeting at W&P, sorry Ross it was better than the Doritos. He produced a 3 course dinner for 48 people at W&P all cooked on a Hydra burner

Artifficer

cooker10.jpg

The No.1 burner was an excellent item of equipment, IF maintained & looked after PROPERLY!

As an Armourer, all cookers also fell under our auspices of inspection & repairs Etc.  In practice however, if you had a good & experienced cook. They usually kept these things going in the Field very well indeed!

Only if they could nor fix/ correct a burner, would they come to us for assistance. IE: It then needed a repair necessitating a spare part Etc. Or they hadn't got the correct tools to execute an in depth repair.

The main problems with nearly all Petrol Stoves & burners. Was the main jet getting clogged up.

This was due in the main, to small bit's of debris being introduced into the burners main tank. When filling the tanks from Jerry cans. Small bit's of the red lead paint liner in these cans / containers. Were the main culprit! Easy rectified with a strip & clean & fresh clean petrol! ;)