Gavin Bowman

Royal Artillery markings/Guy Ant Quad

Hello,

I have a Guy Ant Quad in original condition with genuine markings. Can anybody help with identifying the division that the Quad belonged to.

Many thanks

Gavin Bowman

20180312_135308.jpg

20180312_135320.jpg

20180312_135627.jpg

• Like 3

Sadly I can’t help with the identification, but would it be possible for more pictures of it?

23 minutes ago, Niels v said:

Sadly I can’t help with the identification, but would it be possible for more pictures of it?

Ok no problem. I understand that the 76th is an armoured unit, within a division? Unfortunately the vehicle hasn't retained the divisional markings!! It only had the original pass plates in one of the lockers.

20180312_135225.jpg

20180312_135243.jpg

20180312_135340.jpg

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Gavin Bowman said:

Ok no problem. I understand that the 76th is an armoured unit, within a division? Unfortunately the vehicle hasn't retained the divisional markings!! It only had the original pass plates in one of the lockers.

Hi Gavin,

The red over blue square denotes Royal Artillery. I would think the Guy dates from early war period by its camo pattern that i recall when seeing it some years ago. The 76 could denote a Royal Horse Artillery Regiment attached to an armoured division up until 1942. I would speculate this vehicle was in UK only for training. Only saying this because of the paint scheme.

Worth contacting the Royal Artillery Museum, which I think is now located at Larkhill.

regards, Richard

Thank you Gavin, It looks very lovely, almost a candidate for a conservation and not a restoration. Isnt it the ex Wheatcroft one?

On 9/22/2018 at 10:15 PM, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Gavin,

The red over blue square denotes Royal Artillery. I would think the Guy dates from early war period by its camo pattern that i recall when seeing it some years ago. The 76 could denote a Royal Horse Artillery Regiment attached to an armoured division up until 1942. I would speculate this vehicle was in UK only for training. Only saying this because of the paint scheme.

Worth contacting the Royal Artillery Museum, which I think is now located at Larkhill.

regards, Richard

Hi Richard, I will contact them and see if they can identify the H number.

Many thanks

Gavin 

On 9/23/2018 at 8:43 PM, Niels v said:

Thank you Gavin, It looks very lovely, almost a candidate for a conservation and not a restoration. Isnt it the ex Wheatcroft one?

Yes you are right...from some years ago!!

Trouble is one side is better than the other!!

It looks like a lovely project. Personally I would restore it but as sympathetically as I could, trying to retain its originality but  preserving it for another 70 odd years.

Jon