Power steering

Have you looked at the way Bedford and Ford got round the problem using the existing steering box on VAL and D series? I cannot find a picture of the Ford but it is similar to the Bedford here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bedford+tk+power+steering+ram&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=Oew3mWD1Ns5ZTM%3A%2COSHep7bWNANkUM%2C_&usg=AFrqEzdc5cVlxB1qni6aNIyoFCmXTYKYIA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjsgtL-7cbdAhWOXMAKHYlxAD0Q9QEwAHoECAYQBA#imgrc=Oew3mWD1Ns5ZTM:

The actuating valve is built into the ram and you still have manual steering in the event of a hydraulic failure.

Edited by radiomike7

Not sure about the electric set up but i like the look of the Ford / Bedford  idea.

i,m not after super light steering,  i think it would just make the whole thing feel a bit vague . She doesnt like potholes at the best of times as there arent any shocks on the front end of a T and it tends to grab the steering a bit .

I would just like to be able to go from lock to lock whilst manoeuvring without sweating.

I have tried the old tricks ,like 10 extra psi in the front tyres  

The basic trouble is it isnt just the T showing its age!

8 minutes ago, radiomike7 said:

From an old post by Richard Farrant:

Mike,

I cannot remember posting that, but think it may have been from a Bedford manual, possibly for the S-type. For use on a Diamond T I would think a Bedford or Ford ram would not be heavy enough. I am sure I have seen a simiar set up on a military AEC chassis. I cannot recollect if it was on the Mk3 Militant recovery or the AEC Dumptruk (also known as Aveling Barford 690).

regards, Richard

10 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Mike,

I cannot remember posting that, but think it may have been from a Bedford manual, possibly for the S-type. For use on a Diamond T I would think a Bedford or Ford ram would not be heavy enough. I am sure I have seen a simiar set up on a military AEC chassis. I cannot recollect if it was on the Mk3 Militant recovery or the AEC Dumptruk (also known as Aveling Barford 690).

regards, Richard

It was 9 years ago and you are correct about the S type!  I posted it more to show the layout which is similar to the Ford D series which would have been a more substantial unit used on 28 ton tractor units and 24 ton 6 wheelers with 5 tons or so on the front axle.  The Bedford VAL twin steer coach was rated at 4tons 7cwt  laden on the front end and was known for its light steering.

Dave,

I have a system like this on my Explorer fitted so that the power assist was available for longer than the airtank capacity during yard shunting. It does what you describe. It does require a hydraulic pressure source (Pump). Im not sure about the Diamond T , do you have the option to add the pump. I have the Leyland 680PP which has the pump option driven by the engine.

Dave.

On 9/20/2018 at 6:39 PM, hummermark said:

Hi if ever you are passing crouch recovery he did have a 981 with power steering and a detroit 6.71 with Allison auto if he still has it you could call him ask to see it you could copy the same set up for the power steering.

That Diamond T has changed hands, now owned by a well known collector of heavy haulage vehicles and Diamond T expert

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

Had a Diamond T model 981 with a Leyland Albion 900 diesel engine.

I think that there are three options.

1. Overhaul the king pins and make sure that everything is perfect especially any thrust bearings that take the weight.  Make sure that any weight or ballast in the ballast box is positioned so that it is al least neutral and not imposing any more weight on front axle.  In 240 Sqn when I was a a young soldier if we on ly had two pallets of simulated ammo to carry we put them against the REAR tailgate.  Who needs power steering!

2. All the advice above about power steer rams is good.  However, the unit must come from a heavy vehicle and not an S type Bedford. One off a MkIII Militant or the same unit would be good.  Contemporary sales literature can be helpful.  You will obviously have to be careful about steering travel.  This would be a good option as it would all look the same but be a bit easier to drive.

3. Fit a modern integral power steering from a modern vehicle..  There is a snag and that is that you will not be able to steer it at all if the engine stops turning.    You would be able to 'dead steer' and the steering would be much more precise.

John