Ron

Something a bit different

I've been asked by a friend to help with his military Indian Chief....... I'm doing the paintwork, headstock and wheel bearings, brakes etc. Whilst he attends to the engine and gearbox.

It's a 1940 model CAV (with matching numbers) of which I think 5000 were ordered by the French government. Paris fell before they were all delivered (lots of those where taken by the Germans of course) the rest were reallocated, some into UK.  There is a good book which I haven't had time to read through yet, called "An American in Paris" about the whole story and renovation advice, colour scheme etc. 

It took 3 of us to lift the frame and each mudguard weighs about the same as a Triumph frame.....No wonder it needs a 1200cc engine😅  These items now in primer. Ron

DSCF0993.jpg

DSCF0994.jpg

Edited by Ron
spelling
  • Like 1

Don't hang about do you Ron..looking good as always ..keep up the restoration blog...it great to see your progress.( Say to Tim when you see him).👍

Hi Andy. I think this thing is worth a few pictures. This picture shows how they were painted for the French government contract. I guess they were ordered before hostilities were well under way. Tim wants me to stick to the colour scheme, but I'll compromise on the shininess. I'm picking up 'eggshell' finish paint today.  Ron 

Indian-1940-Chief-cav-1.jpg

I've gone with 'Mid Bronze Green' which is not a million miles from the original gloss colour used. Ron

DSCF0996.jpg

DSCF0997.jpg

Tim came round with another mate to help me lift the frame back into the workshop and I've been building up the front end.

I've also spent some time on the wheels, Which aren't too bad as it happens. Some flaking paint and three loose spokes which all tightened up no problem, and I've replaced all the wheel bearing rollers with new 'one thou' oversize and given the wheels some heavy coats of red primer after a good clean up and rub down.

I'm hoping my local tyre firm who removed the old tyres for me can find the 400x18 that I'm looking for.....Otherwise it'll be an internet search. Ron 

DSCF1001.jpg

DSCF0998.jpg

😃😃 Chris you will come to realize that working gets in the way of your hobby......So I stopped some time ago!!

Wheels, handlebar and hub parts top coated today, and here is that great big lump of an engine! Barrels removed for inspection and fin repairs.

I've also started to do some work on my newly acquired 5SW.   Ron

DSCF1002.jpg

DSCF1003.jpg

DSCF0990.jpg