Martian FV1119 Recovery Aux-box

I have a bodged out put flange on my 1119, ive yet to remove it completely  but at some point the thead in the feed from the oil pump has been striped and when they helicoiled it has then  cracked.. [take off for hydraulics] 

Im not shore if it can be repaired, im likely going to have to have something fabed, but I though I would ask does anyone have one or would know somewhere i could get one? I would like to keep it original...

thanks For any help.

41440732_10155884978718526_6814818569839181824_n.jpg

Hi Sam,

I assume it is the thread for the banjo bolt. The port is long enough that I should think it could be possible to machine off to the bottom of the damaged thread and re-threaded. You will need to strip the casting off the transfer box and get it to a machine shop because the port will need to be faced off dead square to the threaded hole so that the banjo seals against the sealing washers.

regards, Richard

25 minutes ago, Samro said:

the problem iss the "repair" attempt has cracked it.. Ive yet to see how badly do you still think it could be repaired?

Depending on what the casing looks like from the inside, it might be possible to cut the boss back to below the crack and rethread. A machine shop job as I explained because face of boss has to be true to the thread in order to seal the banjo.

I suspect it was stripped by being over tightened to cure a leak caused by re-using the copper banjo washers, they should always be treated as one timers and replaced.

As Richard has suggested, it looks like you may be lucky and able to reduce the boss and re-thread but don't be tempted to do it in situ as you will never get the end square and risk getting swarf in the hydraulics.

You could try threading the outside of the casing, then use a round pipe fitting trimed to length, it does not look as ugly as a nut. you could use some liquid metal on the threads as you assemble it that would make a solid repair. Or make and shrink a small collar on the outside, with the banjo bolt in place. keep moving the bolt as the collar cools. You will be able to aquire or make a longer banjo bolt to go deeper into the threaded hole. Or dismantle it altogether and braize up the cracks

Edited by john1950
addition

im at a stop at the moment as I need a clean container for the contents of the catch tank before I pull the pump out.

I will post when I have it off for your opinions when you have better information.

Thanks chaps.

Edited by Samro
missed information

I removed it on Friday, the flange has another "turret" the same as the one with the oil way's in.

however the bolt holes dont allow for rotation of the housing.

so, the housing has been modified to make it all line up to the new "turret", the new "turret" has had the 2 gallery's cut in to it and been threaded,the old gallery's are blanked off one just buy the fact the flange has been rotated the other buy use of a locktited thread. tested for leaks all ok. further testing after i have the catch tank for the hydraulics refilled.

thanks for support and ideas, im hoping this is a permanent fix I seen no reason for it not to be, it out of site and you would not see the work unless you inspected it.

attached are pics of the new setup and a close up of the damage to the old gallery.

nice reminder about working with ally.

41866062_10155901395333526_2152324131977166848_n.jpg

41843175_10155901395413526_2498286427729559552_n.jpg

• Like 1