CRSCRS

Scammell details please on this picture

Hello all, can anyone give me details on this model of Scammell ? In particular the crane and winch equipment, are there many out there ?

cherrs Chris 

145590FE-137F-4188-8A89-6336B3D0B890.jpeg

Dear All,

That is absolutely lovely.  I would guess that it was built in early 1980's.  It seems to have a "W" registration.  Most of these were built for military export and I know that the Iraqi army had some. I saw some being built at Scammells in about 1983 or 84.  Probably 14 litre Cummins engine, 15 speed fuller gear box, hopefully 16.5 ton Contractor axles and probably a GKN Kirkstall front drive axle.  The LAD cab is a bit pokey which is why I made my Contractor's cab a crew cab.

Where is it?

John

Oh and the Recovery equipment is probably Reynolds BOUGHTON. Slewing crane. 15 to 20 ton winch.

• Like 1

6x6 Contractor known as Explorer mk2.

There were 4 or so chassis cabs available brand new when Scammell closed down, I seem to remember a couple ended up on a landfill site taking roadgoing trailers to the tipping point.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, attleej said:

Dear All,

That is absolutely lovely.  I would guess that it was built in early 1980's.  It seems to have a "W" registration.  Most of these were built for military export and I know that the Iraqi army had some. I saw some being built at Scammells in about 1983 or 84.  Probably 14 litre Cummins engine, 15 speed fuller gear box, hopefully 16.5 ton Contractor axles and probably a GKN Kirkstall front drive axle.  The LAD cab is a bit pokey which is why I made my Contractor's cab a crew cab.

Where is it?

John

Not sure where it is John, I was sent the picture

cheers Chris 

A very rare desirable vehicle. Another to add to the wish list.

Dear all,

this vehicle was previously owned by Dave Crouch and was the subject of an article by Bob Tuck in the May 1998 Truck and Driver.  15t Boughton crane, 14l Cummins 335, 10 speed fuller, 2 speed transfer box, 85t GTW.  Suspect 25t pull winch.

Toby

7 hours ago, TJSB said:

Dear all,

this vehicle was previously owned by Dave Crouch and was the subject of an article by Bob Tuck in the May 1998 Truck and Driver.  15t Boughton crane, 14l Cummins 335, 10 speed fuller, 2 speed transfer box, 85t GTW.  Suspect 25t pull winch.

Toby

Thanks Toby, wonder where it is now ?

cheers Chris 

3 hours ago, CRSCRS said:

Thanks Toby, wonder where it is now ?

cheers Chris 

DVLA search 1980 Scammell LPA 491W is currently taxed

Edited by Nick Johns

Also owned by T & K Weavers at some point.

148bb52b025a665862a4de8f84766184.jpg

Edited by radiomike7
  • Thanks 1